Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Im a newbie to this spey casting scene but Im about to bust in on it. I have a dumb question. Correct me if Im wrong, I have my Backing connected to my skagit line then connected to that I have a mow tip or some type of tip, then connected to that I have my clear leader w/ fly. I know its probably a dumb question and Ive watched countless youtube videos and read many articles. I just want to make sure Im grasping the whole concept. Thanks

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Kyle,

If your Skagit "line" is a full line, then you're set. Many Skagit heads are sold without a running line, and need one between the head and the backing. I have a couple RIO Skagit lines that are complete head and running line in a single unit. Then I have an Airflow Skagit head; it needs some kind of running line between it and the backing. MOW tips or straight sink tips are both suitable to loop onto the forward end of your Skagit head.

It can be confusing, so no worries about dumb questions around here.

Sg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I assume that if I get like the skagit versi tip package that is 120ft long that has the running line built in. Where as the skagit heads are like 27ft long right? And as far as running line goes does it really matter what it is or can it be any WF line thats the proper wt for the rod? Also in using a 7wt 13ft spey fishing the cowlitz river do you think t-11 or t-14 would be better. Thanks for the quick input.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You're right about the 120 ft Skagit line having the running line included. As for the 27 ft Skagits you're much better off using a shooting line attached to it. A WF line is going to give you problems shooting and won't work nearly as well as one designed to shoot. When I fished the Cowlitz T-11 was plenty but conditions may vary.

GBeeman

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Kyle,

Running line = thin line intended and designed to facilitate casting a shooting head; it usually has no taper, ranges from 0.020 - 0.035" diameter, made of floating fly line, monofiliment nylon, or similar material, like Amnesia or Slickshooter. Within those sideboards it can be pretty much anything you want.

I fish the Cowlitz some, and until recently I never owned any T-11 or T-14. I have two 15' tips made of T-8, but I don't use them much because I keep hanging up on the rocks. I did use a 12' tip of T-14 weekend before last with the river at 6500 cfs and was successful at not hanging up too much, but I was mainly testing rod-line-and tip combinations for Alaska king fishing. I usually use 15' type III and VI tips for fishing on the Cowlitz until low summer water makes a floating line feasible.

Sg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.