Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up in the Rockport area (above the Sauk) on Sunday, and witnessed qiute a bit of activity, but unfortunately none of it was on the business end of my line. We fished from 6:00am untill 2:30pm, with my group of 3 going 2 for 5, I was the only bug rod guy in the pack, and yes the others were from "The Dark Side". I guess I have a fond place in my heart for humiliation, or at least one would think by the situation I allowed myself to get into. The bank we fished was a small area about 25ft in length, on the outside of a big sweeper with unlimited visability and approx. 6ft depth directly off the bank. Being the nice guy I am at times, I took position on the downstreem side of the small landing we occupied, figured this was my place since they were tossing their float/jig rigs 3-4ft out and holding in the seam, pretty much stationary. My casts were limited soley to roll casts since the spot was as inconducive to casting of almost any type as one place could possibly be. The bank to the back of us was almost straight up and down, with trees and brush along the top. There were still an unbelievable number of fairly fresh Chum taking up residance in the hole, but the strange thing was the Steelhead were hanging out with them(?) A small group of Chum would make their way to the head of the pool, then a couple of Steelhead would follow them, slowly into a holding position right next to them, almost like they thought they were Chum as well. Anyway, as you can tell by the gin clear water, it was a sight fishing game all morning, at least for my 2 gear fishing buddy's it was. I spent the morning trying to find a spot ahead of them where I could cast and slide into position, but had no luck, I ended up roll casting up stream with my folating tip and a 9ft floro leader with a small weighted fly, but just could'nt seem to get into position on those holding fish. 3 of the fish they hooked and momentaraly played, were nice looking Summer fish of the 10-12lb cookie cutter hatchery type, and yes, the 4th and 5th were Chums, and one bent the hell out of the rod my buddy was fishing(another of my creations) for about 15 minuites, untill it broke off the hook at the bend, with the mixed Steelhead in the pool they wanted to stay at that spot, so I stayed as well. The best part of the trip, for me anyway, was seeing 2 of my customers having a blast on rods that I built for them over a year ago, and loving them even more than the day the picked them up for the first time. So as many have said before, It's not the catchin' I go for, It's the fishing! and when I see that I can help to enhance the pleasure of others for years to come, how could I ever want to stop doin' what I'm doin'?:smokin

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I though you were going to float the river. This didn't sound like it. And as you were probably close to Jackman creek,why didn't you go there. That way you would of had unlimited bank access. And maybe better luck.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.