Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dan Hall
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what section of river Larson's bar is in? It has been 30 years since I was there. I remember accessing it by road initially but by boat the next time. Unfortunately, how to get there is lost to me. Maybe it no longer exists. I walked into the mixer a month ago and it had changed so much that I only made a few desultory casts before walking back to the car. The river was quite low at the time.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Can anyone tell me what section of river Larson's bar is in? It has been 30 years since I was there. I remember accessing it by road initially but by boat the next time. Unfortunately, how to get there is lost to me. Maybe it no longer exists. I walked into the mixer a month ago and it had changed so much that I only made a few desultory casts before walking back to the car. The river was quite low at the time.
Read post #2 from KerryS for directions

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/skagit-pinks.69827/

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
It has changed. Since you park at the south side of the highway and cross at the top of the backwater. It used to be in the rotation but it's been closed during prime time so long I'm not 100% sure that I could find the way in.

Go sox,
Cds

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
SMC's referrence to Kerry's directions from the 2011 pink salmon thread leads to Young's Bar, not what I've known as Larson's for 40-some years. Larson's is across the river from the Sauk Store road, as mentioned by WW above. It is accessed from the south Skagit highway. Used to park at a pull out along the road, but there has been home of sorts there for going on 20 years now. Last time I walked into it was from a point further downstream, wading across a side channel - considerably larger than the old upper section side channel that led to it. Anyway, this route leads into Lower Larson's Bar, or what's left of it. Mainly there is a log jam there last time I went in. Cross the side channel near the upstream end of it and zig-zag through the woods a bit, and you come out on Larson's Bar. I should mention, however, that the 1990 flood, or was it the 1996?, turned the upper half of the run into a slackwater slough. The tailout was still there, and I did hook a fish or two in what was left of the run in the 90s. I haven't been there since 2008, so I have no idea what is left of it these days.

Sg

·
Dan Hall
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the helpful replies, like Thomas Wolfe observed, You Can't Go Home Again. In my memory, it was downstream of the Mixer on the south side of the river and there was a prominent log jam associated with it. I just couldn't remember if it was between the Mixer and Farber's. It is probably washed away as is my memory.

·
Geriatric Skagit Swinger
8,260 Posts
I haven't been there since 2008, so I have no idea what is left of it these days.
I have paid it a visit every season hoping it would start to come back from the '95' flood. I have yet to go this year, but until now it has not fished well at all. Back in the day I had a well beaten route up and over the logjam as each spot would produce fish consistently.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have paid it a visit every season hoping it would start to come back from the '95' flood. I have yet to go this year, but until now it has not fished well at all. Back in the day I had a well beaten route up and over the logjam as each spot would produce fish consistently.
A friend of mine had a cabin off the Sauk Store Rd, so we use to fish from the other side of the river. It produced a lot of fish, in that flood the bar above it washed down and filled it in. There were always guys fishing Larson's but I never did.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The hermit shack? Or that larger house downstream with its own boat ramp?
The one with the boat ramp. He sold it because people kept breaking into it, just too much trouble for what it was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.