Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Skagit Sunday for about 6 hours. Power lines gave up a couple of dollies. One in the 2 foot range. Moved to secret spot. One guy already in. First time I have seen anyone there. Moved in behind him. Hooked up a nice bright steelhead on second cast. Not to be out done the guy in front of me proceeded to catch two steelhead. He left thank god. Got one more dolly. This one went about 28 to 30 inches. One more small steelhead about 6 pounds and called it a day.

G

·
Not to sound to nosey. But how high up the Skagit do you go to find wadeable water. I've never fly fished for anything larger than big trout.I've been itching to get out but I don't want to make a fool of myself. I was up there Saterday, but not above Rockport. I've drift fished at Swift Creek and I've been tempted to try fly fishing there. Jim S. :COOK

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the lower Skagit is running high you can usually find some fishable water above the Sauk. Check the gauges at http://wa.water.usgs.gov/realtime/htmls/skagit.html to see how the river is running.

Swift creek is usually populated with gear fishermen and is hard for the fly guy to find enough room to fish well. I stopped by yesterday and there were 2 gear guys already in the run. If you find it empty it can be productive water to swing a fly through. Other wise I wouldn't bother with it because it is such a short piece of good fly water.

G

·
As New as I am to this type of fly fishing,I don't think that any place is too small for me. Heck if I find that I like this kind of winter fishing I might just quit buying all of that other stuff that I spend all of my loose change on. Jim S. :BIGSMILE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.