Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to post a few pictures of some carp and a few bass but carp were really tough today. Not many showing, and the tide was in, not quite a flood tide but high. High tide makes for some deep wet wading, my voice changed an octave or two a couple times.
Water Sky Fluid Natural landscape Lake

The tide was in today as opposed to the Tide's Inn in Suquamish, that tavern is (was) across the street from the Tide's Out. Wonder if they're still there and in business.
Water Sky Water resources Plant community Natural landscape

I'd wet waded close to a half mile before I got to "Blind Point" and this skinny water is where I finally started seeing some carp. I think this particular water holds a lot of crayfish so ask me this: Why weren't you using a crayfish pattern? I was using an olive carp candy and managed to fool two carp and one smallmouth all within about 50 feet of shoreline. The first carp attacked the carp candy but somehow I missed the take, just felt him. The second fish twisted to the fly as I swung my fly rod to move the fly towards the fishes head but I'd run out of "swing" when he ate and I didn't get a proper hook set The fish made a run, turned towards me and the fly came out. The smallmouth was aggressive - chased the fly and ate. I managed to land him (her?), the fish was about 17-inches. The pic I took is out of focus, dang it. So I am not going to show it.
Plant Twig Wood Trunk Landscape

I worked my way completely around Blind Point, so named because of the duck blind on the end of the point, without any more shots at carp or bass. As I wandered across the point to head north to Buzz Bay, I wondered when the point had been fenced.
Water Sky Ecoregion Coastal and oceanic landforms Watercourse

Two years ago I was fishing a shallow bay just north of this basalt edge, the wind was howling and had the sediment in the bay stirred up so badly you couldn't see into the water plus the waves (white capping) made it impossible to see. On my way back I spotted something a little odd and stopped to watch. It was a fish tail. A carp was suspended near surface with his head angled down. He repeatedly was "banging" his head against the basalt. My impression was he'd spotted a crayfish and was trying to get at it. I had a crayfish pattern tied on so I dapped it down along this ledge which was somewhat in the lee of the wind and the carp ate. It was a big fish that took me deep into backing and after that day I left the 5-weight at home. Today the ledge was barren of fish but I did see a small snake that disappeared down some void in the rock.
Branch Wood Twig Terrestrial animal Scrap

Careful catch and release, not posing for hero pictures helps fish survive. Oh what am I talking about? This is my 20th summer fishing for carp with a fly rod and I've caught a lot of them. I wonder how many didn't survive the release? 20 years ago two friends of mine caught a big carp and decided to keep it and eat it. They were fishing in a small Livingston, maybe ten minutes after they caught it they started gagging from the smell and pitched it back into the lake, it swam away. They're pretty tough.

Mojo: some days you have it and some days you don't. I didn't have my @OMJ skinny water mojo working for me today. I had maybe 20 shots at carp resulting in four fish going for it. But mostly I hit 'em on the head in skinny water and spooked them. Next time, mojo man! Mojo mojo man, I wanna be a mojo man.

Sorry.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about pointing that duck blind out for me. I haven't ventured out up that far yet as the furtherest up I've hunted is Rocky Ford below the highway.
The blind is actually no longer in existence - it was makeshift at best 20 years ago when I first started plying this point for carp. Not sure why someone couldn't resurrect or build a new one there. The issue is "access", there's a bit of hike (or boat in duck season) to get to it. The hike would take, oh, four minutes for me and five for most old farts.

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
The blind is actually no longer in existence - it was makeshift at best 20 years ago when I first started plying this point for carp. Not sure why someone couldn't resurrect or build a new one there. The issue is "access", there's a bit of hike (or boat in duck season) to get to it. The hike would take, oh, four minutes for me and five for most old farts.
How long for fat old farts?

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday it was the 2 weight. Back up to the "still water" with the 8 weight today. With a little wind action, I shortened up my leader to turn over the flies in the "W".

I don't seem to find as many carp when the wind is breaking waves over the flats. My thought on this is the carp aren't as in tune to "predator" noise as they might otherwise be. Predators? Me? Pelicans, coyotes, bow anglers....
Water Sky Fluid Coastal and oceanic landforms Wind wave

Water Sky Plant Tree Vegetation

I really wanted to get out onto the shoal where the wave's breaking some 200 feet off shore but with the tide in full, I didn't feel like wading neck deep to get out there, that sort of defeats the vision angle looking down into the water and I can't cast when my shoulders are submerged.
Reptile Wood Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Turtle

On a more serious note, I found a couple carp that were actively feeding, this one was rooting around in some gravel. My crayfish pattern was just the ticket. I saw the fish turn to the fly when it sank near his head and set up on him. Not a big fish, five pounds maybe but he bent the 8 weight (not quite into the corks).

As I worked my way up lake, I came to a sandy shoal and was very surprised to see a fish rooting in the sand. I'm pretty sure there aren't any crayfish in the sand (and experience tells me that I'm wasting my time fishing a crayfish over a sandy or deep mud bottom). I changed to the old carp standard I started fishing to carp with 20 years ago: wooly worm. First cast was spot on perfect, saw the fish twist to the fly, set the hook. Poor knot, broke him off. That was it for the day.

What will I fish for tomorrow?

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Water Nature People in nature Sunlight Coastal and oceanic landforms

Back out again today, left the 2 weight at home, fishing the 8 weight. Love it when the sun is bright, the "W" light and carp are on the flats. Glacial Lake Missoula flood events left this erratic - a great perch for me to stand on and see if there are any carp in this little bay. None today.
Water Bird Fluid Body of water Lake

Further down lake I saw a fish holding in a small bucket, a depression about a foot deeper than the rest of the flat. I laid out a cast and the smallmouth took.
Water Vertebrate Lake Fish Fisherman

Not a big smallmouth but still, a couple of good jumps, a little line ripped off the reel and then to hand and released.
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Daytime

There weren't a lot of fish showing today but my skinny water mojo was working much better than a few days ago. At least my casting was a bit more accurate and maybe even more important, less hurried so the heavy fly wasn't SPLATTING the water quite so hard. I was able to fool a couple carp on the same flat as the smallmouth. They put a bend in the rod! A swimmy style bent rod picture.
Water Vertebrate Bait Fisherman Body of water

I started out fishing an olive crayfish pattern, after four or five refusals, I switched to a rust colored crayfish pattern, more refusals. Jon Luke's "carp candy" has been a favorite of mine for quite a few years now. I bought several from Gary Thompson in downtown Seattle, now I tie my own. The olive carp candy was the ticket over the rocky/gravelly bottom. Not so further up lake.
Eye Fish Plant Marine biology Grass

I eased this fish onto some weeds and pulled the fly out and was rewarded with a tail splash and wet sun glasses.
Water Fluid Lake Body of water Wood

I figure I hiked well over a mile today. It was 101°F outside so wet wading felt wonderful. As I got to the end of the easily waded shoreline, I came upon this bottom disturbance. Sure wish I'd seen this fish while he was rooting around in the gravel. I think maybe I could have gotten pretty close without him noticing me.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out fishing three days this week, two of them with lines actually fished, the middle day - far too much wind, but then, maybe I was wimpy. Tuesday with Engee was windy but we stalked carp and bass and got skunked. Wednesday was 130 miles of driving and no launching, no casting. Great ribs on the smoker. But I really wanted those trouts, maybe Sunday, maybe Monday or Tuesday or.....?

And then there was today. Calm, sunny, warm. Calm? What the heck is that this summer?
Bedrock Pattern Landscape Close-up Soil

When Engee and I were wading this particular flat, it was windy and the bottom sediment was stirred up so seeing bottom was tough. Today, clear and clean water and an orange midge waiting to get eaten.

I worked my way down the shore, looking for fish. There were lots of pock marks on the lake bottom, the carp had been in feeding but perhaps since I'd waited to hit the lake until after my lunch, the fish were done eating and had moved out. Don't know.
Jaw Fish Underwater Diving mask Marine biology

As I headed out across a shallow bay, I saw a fish hanging tight next to an erratic and made a cast with my awful purple carp candy. The fish didn't hesitate and raced 15 feet or so to grab the fly. Game on! Not a particularly big smallmouth but it was a fish.
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Natural environment

After I released the bass, I kept moving down the shoreline. I know that when you're stalking carp, you move s l o w l y. Very slowly. Each step you should stop and scan at least 180 degrees before taking the next step. I know this technique but I spaced out and it cost me a shot at a carp that was rooting hard. By the time I saw the fish, I was maybe 10 feet away and as I looped a short roll cast to the fish, he tilted up and saw me and was gone. Dang!

The tide was really out today, it figures, have a big holiday coming up so the lake gets drawn down drying up a half dozen launches. Nifty. Not. But, since I'm mostly a wet wader, I like it when the tides out. Often when the reservoir elevation decreases, fish tend to concentrate (sometimes). Not this afternoon, maybe Sunday (windy tomorrow, farmers market instead).
Water Sky Lake Watercourse Natural landscape

I walked out on the old, submerged road and spotted a couple smallmouth hanging out next to an erratic. Naturally, one of them spotted me and spooked but the other fish was on the far side of the rock giving me some cover. I made a cast literally over the rock, let the fly sink for a two-count and started stripping in. Bang! Fish on. Another smallmouth, not big but a jumper. Fun stuff.
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Road surface

I decided I'd head home, had a few things to do before getting supper ready. Too hot for rattlesnakes, ticks are done. Deer flies and mosquitoes left me alone. It was a great day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.