Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Skokomish river yesterday with my dad ( he doesn't fish, just enjoys the scenery). Started out between 101 and 106 for some salmon but no luck. not many people were having any. I think it needs a few more good rains to bring more fish, they were pretty few and far between. Of course I'm still pretty new to the salmon end of fishin. Decided to go west of 101 and try for some trout. River low and clear. Absolutely beautiful. not another soul around. Bear scat and elk prints everywhere. Right away started hooking into little guys (3-6"). Finally got into a solid 12" bow. Then a few more little guys, then a nice 11", then more little guys. saw one salmon making his way up river through the shallows. On the way back down stopped back at the hole where the 11" was and hooked a big guy, full with acrobatics and all, must have been a good 14". Right in front of a log jam. Trying to get him away from the logs my 7x tippet snapped. :beathead: Caught about 15 fish, all on size 12 stimulators. great fun, beautiful day.:thumb:

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
I'm a Skok river hater. That river has done nothing for me. I know there are fish in there, I know it, but that rivers dead to me...you hear me Skok, dead!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a Skok river hater. That river has done nothing for me. I know there are fish in there, I know it, but that rivers dead to me...you hear me Skok, dead!
LOL! I can think of several rivers that I feel that way about. This one proved pretty good for me though. This time at least.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Nice! Wetfeet. Buck remember any day on a river is a good day ;)

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Sounds like a fun outing. I have gear fished the Skok a bunch and done it with a fly rod a few times. I like people watching, so there is no shortage of entertainment. The Skok is most interesting in the late fall, when flooded, chum swiming through the pumpkin fields and across 106.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense but why were you using 7x?
Yeah, I knew that would come up. To light a tippet for a size 12 hook, I know. I wasn't sure how leary these fish were and really wasn't expecting any fish of that size (I haven't caught any fish over 10" in the last month or so). But I assure you I did learn my lesson.

Oh yeah, no offense taken.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
As I suggested in another thread, many of the "rainbows" caught in the rivers at this time of the year, especially those of 10-11 inches or more, may actually be sea-run cutthroat. Sea-run cutthroat enter salt water for the first time in the spring commonly at the age of two and an average size of 6-8 inches, returning to the rivers in the late summer and fall at about 10-11 inches (many, if not most, of these fish are not yet sexually mature and will not spawn this time around), they will, however, remain in the rivers with the larger, sexually mature fish until the spring when they will return to the salt to feed and grow.

A fresh-run sea-run cutthroat may have only very pale "cutthroat slashes" or none at all, and the only way to differentiate with certainty between a cutthroat and rainbow is to feel for the small triangular patch of basibranchial teeth at the base of the tongue (present in the cutthroat, absent in the rainbow). Resident rainbows usually have have a fairly pronounced pink stripe but, in some cases, this may not be very prominent. Resident rainbows of any size are relatively rare in our rivers (though their numbers seem to be increasing in some streams) and, without careful identification, I would suspect that most sizeable trout caught in rivers with access to salt water at this time of the year are likely to be sea-run cutthroat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Preston, I will have to start checking their tongues for those teeth. Could have been Cutts I suppose. I caught a beautiful cutt out of Deshutes (Rainier area) last week. Had a magnificent red jaw. About 10".

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wetfeet is was just giving ya shit. All too often I see people using 6x, 7x, and I tell you what in most cases 3x and 4x work just as well plus you wont break fish off like 7x. I go to silver creek every year and I see plenty of the 6x and 7x crowd. One day I told a guy I was using 5x and he laughed. I chuckled to myself thinking you should of seen the last 4 browns over 24 inches I landed on 5x, bet he would of laughed at that too. The browns from silver creek in my gallery and my avatar were all landed using 5x. Sorry for the hijack.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
A fresh-run sea-run cutthroat may have only very pale "cutthroat slashes" or none at all, and the only way to differentiate with certainty between a cutthroat and rainbow is to feel for the small triangular patch of basibranchial teeth at the base of the tongue (present in the cutthroat, absent in the rainbow). Resident rainbows usually have have a fairly pronounced pink stripe but, in some cases, this may not be very prominent. Resident rainbows of any size are relatively rare in our rivers (though their numbers seem to be increasing in some streams) and, without careful identification, I would suspect that most sizeable trout caught in rivers with access to salt water at this time of the year are likely to be sea-run cutthroat.
Jaw extending past eye?

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
That river is most likely between runs right now. I did see a few silvers last time I was there (last week), but it will probably be a while before it heats up again. And Mumbles, you are right on saying there in so shortage of entertainment! I did have a good time with many big fish there this year though, and on the bug rod.

I tend to be a Cowlitz hater. I don't know why, but that river just has no love for me at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wetfeet is was just giving ya shit.
I know that Tyler, it's kinda hard typing things that sound sarcastic when really they were suppose to be literal. Really, no offense taken. Damn computers don't portray personality very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.