Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone ever fishes the skookumchuck, this time of year. Where would I find what time of year steelhead and/or salmon will be in this river. Or is that just something that comes with experience of living in the area after awhile.
thanks
Kyle

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Kyle,

Salmon fishing in the Skook is a bad idea, unless you like catching boots - dark fish well beyond table quality. Serious salmon fishing is done much further downstream, in the Chehalis, mostly downstream of Porter, or the Satsop even.

The timing of the steelhead run is variable, but generally it's a late winter run, peaking in April. But fresh steelhead can appear anytime beginning around mid-January, just don't count on it. It's a lot like many terminal area hatchery blood hole fisheries: populated by littering knuckledraggers who don't appreciate the functional difference between snagging and fair hooking a fish. And for the most part, it's not very good fly water, not saying you can't fly fish it, but generally speaking, other rivers are better choices.

Sg

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
I'm with the _G man on this one, especially the colorful description of the locals, one of which I am...
switch rod water at best, and not much of it. Boots galore.
I hit it once a year on GPs because I live close.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Went on an exploratory fishing mission to the Skook one week after opening. I saw some bright fish caught there by the flosser crowd and would not say it is full of boots, at least during the beginning of the summer chinook run.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Salmo's got it right for the crowd there. They also like to decorate the trees there with tons of mono, corkie rigs, and yarn. Steelhead in the Skook......um maybe if you can grease up and floss between the gear heads. Though, on a cold cold weekday about 6 years ago, I caught my first fish there.....by accident. A very fair size coho [blood red] on a medium action 5wt. Did I mention it was by accident?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.