Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to the Sky for the first time and planning on starting in the south fork. No boat; prefer wading. Any comments on access points, parking, fly recommendations etc. Actually any info will be greatly appreciated. Bill

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Where abouts on the Sky are you headed for. A boat would be nice but I haven't seen to many boats in the river above the falls. As a matter of fact they have signs posted all over the banks and along the road that the river is unsafe for boating. I haven't really fished the S/Fork too many times but when I have I use just about what is standard for this side of the mountains. Stimulators,Elk hair Caddis,Royal Wulff,Humpies,etc.

I would rather fish the head waters of the S/Fork. Lots of water up there such as the Beckler,it gets a few Steelhead,as does the Foss,and the Tye. Good water,but can get very small at times like now.

But if you are going to the S/fork you might as well check out the N/fork also.

I usually make a day of it by starting out by going up the N/Fork,fish a few spots and if they are not hitting just follow the road up over Jacks Pass and down the other side and you will end up on the Beckler. Just follow that road and it will take you down to the S/Fork. Nice drive,scenic views.

Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts
You can access the river in the town of Baring. Turn right at the (now defunct) Baring General store and the road will take you by the Fire Station to a one lane bridge over the river. There is a great riffle/pool/tailout under the bridge. You can fish from the North Bank with a one hand rod and from either bank with a two hand rod. Stayed at a bed and breakfast on the pool and fished it a few evernings when the kids were in bed. There was a steelhead (I think) rolling below the bridge and I had it come up and bump a skated Bomber. You can wade to some pools downstream of the bridge as well. Let me know how you do. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim: Thanks for the advice. I did the North Fork and spent some time at Trout Creek confluence. Used Royal Wulff, Humpys, Adams, then a Wooly -------- no action. Drove further upstream, but the water was low and looked difficult. The ride and scenery was just look you said. Went up and over Jacks Pass and down the Beckler finally stopping at about MP 47 on the North fork. looked great, but same results. Also tried some caddis here. Everyone I saw had the same results that day 000000000!
Also stopped at the Sultan Creek bridge and saw some steelies moving up stream. Fished a wooly bugger, stimulator and a Bringle Bug here with the same reults. Some bangers had been there all day and also been skunked.
Well, it was a great day ------ except.
Bill :CONFUSED

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, easy to find and access was good. See my earlier message ---- no action here or elsewhere; I didn't come across anyone that had any hits that day. I did see one (?) rise at MP 47, and some steelhead moving upstream at Sultan Creek, but that was it. Great weather, what a great time of year yo spend a day on the Sky..

Thanks for the advice/information.

Later.
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.