Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us fished the Sky on Saturday. The word is out that there are no fish in the river; we didn't see a jet boat all day, and there were only a couple of trailers in the Sultan parking lot. The only group of gear guys we saw were shut out while we were there. We managed to be first in Buck Island even though we arrived at 7 am.

As for the IRS hole: I haven't been there since last winter but they have a new gate up and several signs saying no trespassing. It was always private land but there seemed to be permission (and a well-beaten path) to walk around the gate. Someone (maybe the owner, maybe not) was opening up the gate when we drove by so I stopped and asked if we could fish. All we got was a smile and a big no. They have done some construction there too, just over the rr tracks. It's too bad, because even though people tell me it has filled in over the years, I always found IRS to be a good hole, especially in high water when it would fish down for over 100 yards. There was also some good water down the bank above the main hole where I have caught dollies.

As for the fish (here's the good news): we found several dollies in the river and landed a couple. I also had two strong strikes that I believe were steelhead, one of which was on for a few good head shakes and about 5 seconds before my black / blue GP pulled out when it thrashed on the surface. So, I now believe that there are some fish around, even though we didn't land any. Tight lines.

Circlespey

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree on the dollies; I catch more every year on the Sky. I haven't seen a really big one yet like I see on the Sauk or the Hoh, but I suspect that will come.

Your descriptions of the water around IRS are making me more and more likely to break down and buy a pontoon boat for the Sky.

Circlespey

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you arrange the shuttles? Or are you always with another person with a big enough rig to hold two pontoons? That's what always keeps me from making a similar investment; I usually am fishing solo.

Circlespey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.