Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to pick up a sling pack, 2 hours from nearest fly shop, so not in a position to window shop for one,m so tapping the forum for recommendations. 6'2 x 190#, just need enough room for a couple of fly boxes, usual steelhead gear while tramping along the river. Not looking for a large 'and the kitchen sink' model, my days of hiking for miles from the truck are behind me..thnx

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,757 Posts
I recently picked up the Orvis Safe Passage (the non-guide model, it's far too big for my needs). It's perfect...plenty of features and super comfortable. I can't believe I didn't go this route sooner!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been running this for a couple years. Fly patch and pocket on front strap that is big enough to be used as a holster. Also has a waterproof pocket on inside. Carries nice and pretty adjustable too. Don't know what it's called, but someone here will know.
Luggage and bags Bag Strap Font Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a fisherman on a budget and I've had nothing but good things to say about this pack. It's super comfy but doesn't take up much space. For $45 bucks you can't go wrong. This is the Allen Cedar Creek Sling pack. Got mine from Amazon, but I've seen them at Sportsmans warehouse for the same price.

·
Uck Uck Uck, bitches
7,589 Posts
I have one...I own a bunch of vests too but we know vests can though often very light in weight...you can feel it in neck and shoulders after a long day on the water. I like the slings...the bottom one above is like what i use

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your are interested in a waterproof sling try the Vision Aqua Sling from Nile Creek Fly Shop on Vancouver Island. Sells for around $150 cdn, which is a steal compared to the price of other waterproof slings. Not a huge pack, but easily holds enough for a day trip.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've been running this for a couple years. Fly patch and pocket on front strap that is big enough to be used as a holster. Also has a waterproof pocket on inside. Carries nice and pretty adjustable too. Don't know what it's called, but someone here will know. View attachment 158797
Patagonia vest front sling

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I use the Umpqua Bandolier sling for most of my fishing , it's ambidextrous. Holds a couple of full size fly boxes, tippet holders, hemo sleeve, zinger sleeves..light and compact and leaves room for a hanging net on the back.
I like to wear it on the left shoulder since I cast with the right.

Lou

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you like the Patagonia slings, North 40 Outfitters has them on sale now. The tan one pictures is $49.00 normally $89, and the Stealth Pro is $69-$119. Really good price on their jacket as well!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just got the new Simms Dry Creek Z sling for Christmas. I've had a couple different non waterproof slings but wanted something that would keep my stuff dry when fishing the beaches during the winter. This one is pretty good. Only downside I've found so far is being that it has a submersible zipper, it can be a bit of a pain to open and close as it's very stiff. The little loops on either end of the bag are to hold on to while closing up or opening the zipper. I really like the net holder slot on the back of the bag. The inside has a few mesh dividers, but is mostly an open space for your stuff. I looked at the Patagonia waterproof sling but it was much bigger than I wanted. The new Orvis waterproof sling was on my list as well and around the same size, but ultimately decided I liked the new Simms a bit more because of the net holder. Cost definitely is an issue with the waterproof slings, as you're going to be in the $230-$250 range.
Luggage and bags Bag Grey Camera accessory Backpack

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got the original Orvis sling when it came out...then, when they released the guide model, I got one of those as well.

Since then, the guide model has been my go to for nearly every fishing trip.

That said, there's definitely a lot of extras I carry that I wouldn't strictly need, plus I like that it's big enough to give me the option of wearing a hoodie in the morning, then taking it off and jamming it inside later on if I get too warm.

The shit you "need" expands to an amount that will fill whatever carrying solution you decide to go with. Still, I don't find the guide sling at all uncomfortable, even loaded down with 5-6 fly boxes, a heavy film camera, hoodie, and a few beers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Been using this one for a year now and its been fabulous:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-camo-sling-pack#repChildCatid=1601019

The pack has hideaway mesh water bottle holders that unzip from each side. The pack distributes the weight of the bottles exceptionally well. Plenty of room to hold flyboxes as described by the OP and other typical gadgetry. Only downside is not many lashing points on the pack's exterior for tools, tippet holders, etc. pin-on zingers are a good option. No D-ring for net but this is really a hunting pack. Good padding and pretty water resistant. Excellent value for the money...I bought it with a Christmas gift card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

·
I use & like the Orvis sling pack & I use both for fishing & while on vacation trips. I find it very convenient for packing a vast array of items around

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
some feedback on the Maxcatch sling pack - comfortable to wear, excellent shoulder padding, quick release waist strap, light and well made (time will tell), pulls around to the front position exactly as it should for access, well laid out storage pockets, enough room for both my fly and centerpin gear. A lot to like for a pricepoint pack.

cheers

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Another vote for the Patagonia Stealth sling. I own one and like it. I use it when trout fishing.

I just use a backpack when fishing the beach though. Holds more and my stripping basket acts as a nice platform to place it on to dig stuff out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.