Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out for a few hours today and fished up the DP Road. Wasn't expecting anything, never do. To that end was not disappointed. Beautiful warm day (relative to what we've been having) to be on the water. River has come down a lot since jumping this past week, visibility is pretty good, color is a little dark still but should continue to clear this week.

Started out by skating an October Caddis before switching over to a Skykomish Sunrise. Actually had two good bumps on the latter and they weren't rocks because I was swinging a floating line. Must have been steelhead because that's what I was targeting, right? No squawfish, that's for sure.

Nice to finally put a face to the name of Eric Tarcha- good meeting ya, man.

Found someone's lost fly stuck to a submerged rock below the power lines.
PM me to claim it ;) View attachment 34280

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Was down at Fall City at Aaron's Day on the River and we saw a few fish roll. Clarity was good and I skated a purple muddler and a bomber to no avail... did manage to catch a nice Habano cigar thanks to a friend though!

Hit the Sky on Sunday and conditions are good as well.. other than no fish... saw a fish roll on the other side of the river, but that was about it!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Fished further down river and pretty much the same results. Landed one nice cutt and saw a few Kings rolling.

It is time to start becoming aware of redds!!! Try to avoid wading in spawning areas or setting anchors where there is spawning activity. Usually redds are pretty easy to see if there is enough water clarity but not always the case. A high water event can mask them. Just one person shuffling along in a spawning area can do an immense amount of damage! The big pool at the parking area at Chinook Bend is a prime example. Kings use that tailout area extensively so keep your feet out of it!!! Every year I see flyfishermen stomping around in there. There are lots of other places to fish that won't have the impact from wading.

Dave

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Got out for a few hours today and fished up the DP Road. Wasn't expecting anything, never do. To that end was not disappointed. Beautiful warm day (relative to what we've been having) to be on the water. River has come down a lot since jumping this past week, visibility is pretty good, color is a little dark still but should continue to clear this week.

Started out by skating an October Caddis before switching over to a Skykomish Sunrise. Actually had two good bumps on the latter and they weren't rocks because I was swinging a floating line. Must have been steelhead because that's what I was targeting, right? No squawfish, that's for sure.
I was downriver at my usual. The results were the usual also.

Leland.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Fished further down river and pretty much the same results. Landed one nice cutt and saw a few Kings rolling.

It is time to start becoming aware of redds!!! Try to avoid wading in spawning areas or setting anchors where there is spawning activity. Usually redds are pretty easy to see if there is enough water clarity but not always the case. A high water event can mask them. Just one person shuffling along in a spawning area can do an immense amount of damage! The big pool at the parking area at Chinook Bend is a prime example. Kings use that tailout area extensively so keep your feet out of it!!! Every year I see flyfishermen stomping around in there. There are lots of other places to fish that won't have the impact from wading.

Dave
Hey Dave. You still fish the river at that spot we used to. Where you have about ten miles of fields to cross to get to the river. I can hardly walk across the street anymore so if we ever did fish it you'd have to carry me.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Jim, It is only 9 miles of walking through head high grass and a 1/4 mile of breaking through black berries!!

The river did some serious rechanneling and is quite a bit different. There are some prime spots still but just in different places. The flows have been a bit too high this summer for good fishing access. I've fished it a few times and some nice fish are in there but on the other side of the river tucked in tight to the bank. Just make an 80 foot pile cast hooked to the left around a piling and across two seams and it should be a done deal!! I have hooked the piling twice and left my calling card.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.