Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was getting ready to leave the office this afternoon I quickly checked the forum. I noticed a new thread about sea-run cutts and got inspired. There is a little creek about a mile from my house; I had scouted it in June in anticipation of some sea-run action this fall. It was a beautiful day, I had no plans, so I thought why not spend a few hours busting through the brush.

This creek is pretty small, but it does support both salmon and trout. I race home, quickly change, grab my 3 weight and fanny pack, and head out. I find the trail to the creek as one, unfortunately, would expect in the Puget Sound area, littered with trash and empty 40 ouncers. I walk down the trail to the only real hole on the river, fully expecting to find some local poachers harvesting some kings. Thankfully, no poachers to be found, but the hole was full of salmon playing grab ass with each other. Not wanting to risk hooking one and sacrificing a fly with a nymph, I tied on a size 12 orange stimulator. I made a few casts; I say that somewhat figuratively as there is little room to cast, no takers, so I head downstream. I being dipping my fly in anything that closely resembles a holding location, but the overgrown salmon berry branches limit my access. I pick up a few two year old cutts, here and there, hoping to find one that has made the journey to the salt and back.

I switch to a wet fly to see if that would improve the situation. I am not sure if my technique would be considered nymphing or swinging; more like flip and pray I don’t get snagged. Most of my prayers went unanswered. I managed to feel a few tugs that felt bigger, but the largest fish landed was only nine inches. But they were all beautifully colored wild fish. In the tight quarters I was fishing, it seemed like every missed fish resulted in a fly stuck in the branch of a tree.

On a humorous note, I had one little guy come unhooked mid air as I was lifting him out of the water. He landed on the bank…that was covered with nettles. I ended up with some very tingly legs and arms, but the little guy got back into the water. I also discovered, after I had the gravel bank give way and I fell on my ass, my Exofficio wading shorts offer zero protection from stinging nettles. Tingly legs are one thing, but stinging butt cheeks suck!

Andrew

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think small creek in dumping into the Sound...at 5 pm it was too dark to use my polarized shades....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.