Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent tied small stuff in a while so why not brush up a bit....

All the flies where tied with just a few materials... Keep it simple works for me.

All tied with.

Size 12 Emerger Hooks
Wire
Peacock Herl
Black Gossamer Silk
Clear Cure Goo
Hard As Hull

Some Fast and Dirty Czech Nymphs...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but #12 emergers are not small flies. Small flies are tied on #18-#26 hooks. These are nice flies nontheless, they just aren't very small. They are in fact, a bit large for most trout flies.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but #12 emergers are not small flies. Small flies are tied on #18-#26 hooks. These are nice flies nontheless, they just aren't very small. They are in fact, a bit large for most trout flies.
I think it all depends on the person. I have bad eyes so sometimes a size 12 mines well be a size 22. But compared to most trout emergers size 12 is fairly large.

·
-Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist
590 Posts
Jeez, post some beautiful flies, very cool ties, and great photos and someone's got to pee in your Cheerios.

Nice flies and photos! That clear goo is something I'll have to look into.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
A former member here once sponsored a 'Size 20 and Smaller' fly swap. I joined, figuring it would be just the push I needed to start me tying some truly small flies. It was and I soon found out it's not much harder to tie a size 22 than it is a size 12.

Besides a steady hand, tying really small flies requires the discipline to use smaller quantities of materials and to maintain a sense of proportion that keeps the fly's profile the same as a larger version.

K

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
A former member here once sponsored a 'Size 20 and Smaller' fly swap. I joined, figuring it would be just the push I needed to start me tying some truly small flies. It was and I soon found out it's not much harder to tie a size 22 than it is a size 12.

Besides a steady hand, tying really small flies requires the discipline to use smaller quantities of materials and to maintain a sense of proportion that keeps the fly's profile the same as a larger version.

K
iagree

Ricky, those are great ties! Now start working on smaller as suggested. You will find that when fishing size 12-14 and fish are not biting, that putting on something like a size 20 can do the trick! Practice with the smaller stuff. After tying 10 small flies at size 20 you will begin to get your coordination and quantities figured out as Ken says. It always takes me a while to get back to tying small flies correctly also. I'm very nearsighted so that helps!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I use that same short shank emerger hook that you use quite a bit. Out on the Missouri, I wouldn't really use a hook smaller than a size 18. With the 1x short, an 18, for me, was small enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some really nice flies and I like the epoxy idea.
Size 12's are probably my main size of flies for loch style fishing but having said that I did have a go at a 32 recently not that it looked very good.

·
BigDog
3,554 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the post. As someone else pointed out, those XS hooks permit you to tie a fly that appears one size smaller (eg, an 18 appears to be the size of a 20), while still having the hooking capability of the larger hook. I think that is an important feature of tying on short shank hooks.

I've tied down to size 24, and it isn't too much trouble as long as you keep your patterns simple and quantity of material proportionally small. The body often can simply consist of thread, perhaps with a fine wire rib, and a bit of dubbing or hackle to comprise the thorax/head.

If someone is just getting into tying small flies, or wants to expand their repertoire, I highly recommend Ed Engle's book "Tying Small Flies."

Dick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I really did this fast and it could have looked much better but I have a ton of things to do today... If you would like a better version of it give me until monday... Ill post up a better one. Great idea and I will be using it so either way, look for a better more tapered hook- I mean fly on Monday.

When I say I did it fast I mean- 30 seconds start to finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.