Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
My curiosity got the best of me and wanted to ask the board what your biggest catches were on the smallest flies. Photo's would be great but love a good fishing story if you have a tale to tell.
I have caught many trout on dry flies down to size 24 and 26. And only a few were trout over 18 to 20 inches. I had one of the best few hours of dry fly fishing of my entire fishing life, on the San Juan River one autumn afternoon, on a size 24 blue winged olive and 7 X tippet.

This reminded me of this:
https://joetheauthor.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/joining-the-2020-club-at-last/

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
For me a size 18 Chromie caught me a fish that may have went 6 pounds. It also caught me a fish about 2 pounds that then caught me a loon about 4 pounds that made several screaming runs before I snapped him off. My partner took an 11.5 (weighed) up in the Cariboo a few years ago on a size 16 Chromie, Big fish like that seem to be showing up less and less recently.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
The thing to consider is proportional relationship. Size of fly to size of fish. Maybe a length relationship. So a 1" fly to a 20" fish might be one thing at a 1/20 ratio, but what about a 2" fly to a 60" fish at a 1/30 ratio? Would that be considered?

·
Cut my own cock off
1,580 Posts
First fish I ever caught on a fly rod was a 22" San Juan rainbow on a #22 zebra midge. I also got a 21" Yakima RB on a # 2o dropper under a Chubby Chernobyl.

That first San Juan fish was a hell of a way to begin fly fishing for me. How could I not be addicted after that? Credit to some bery generous guides on their day off that saw me and took enough pity to help me out.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
I have caught many trout on dry flies down to size 24 and 26. And only a few were trout over 18 to 20 inches. I had one of the best few hours of dry fly fishing of my entire fishing life, on the San Juan River one autumn afternoon, on a size 24 blue winged olive and 7 X tippet.
First fish I ever caught on a fly rod was a 22" San Juan rainbow on a #22 zebra midge.
When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of the San Juan. Lots of giant fish lurking around sipping tiny flies in that river. I had one break me off on that river that probably would have been the biggest trout I'd ever caught, and had another bruiser try to eat a smaller fish I had on.

·
Cut my own cock off
1,580 Posts
When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of the San Juan. Lots of giant fish lurking around sipping tiny flies in that river. I had one break me off on that river that probably would have been the biggest trout I'd ever caught, and had another bruiser try to eat a smaller fish I had on.
You used to lurk around the Rio Chama too, right? Damn, some of the browns in that place. Yikes

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
A 32# fall chinook on a #8 krill pattern.

This was from an experimental trip using intermediate lines targeting chinook and coho staging in tidewater of a lower CR trib. Wasn't really expecting to catch anything but got tired of waiting for the fall rains. So we decided to try some still-water techniques normally used for steelhead in the CR Gorge, trib-mouth fisheries.

This was also a meat trip from pre camera-phone days (for me), hence the super-classy lawn shot. The fly is barely visible in stuck in the cork handle.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.