Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Looks like an old resident to me, bit I'm no biologist.

Reactions: Stonefish

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Welcome aboard Ryan.
I agree with Trip, looks like a redside to me.
There are a number of members on the board from Oregon, so hopefully they'll chime in on this.
Great looking fish and glad to see you are getting out and enjoying your new home waters.
SF

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
View attachment 128426 I'm new to the west coast. Moved to Bend a few months ago. Was referred here from another site by Stonefish.

Caught this on the lower D today. 18-19" and i don't know which it is?
Welcome, and what area did you move here from? I'm assuming that big brown in your avatar didn't come from Washington.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
Welcome aboard....

That looks like a (very old) redside to me.

I recall getting one nearly identical to that not too long ago sipping midges in a back eddy. All he gave me was a couple of head shakes, then swam right in.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
View attachment 128426 I'm new to the west coast. Moved to Bend a few months ago. Was referred here from another site by Stonefish.

Caught this on the lower D today. 18-19" and i don't know which it is?
Judging by the size of its tail, I'd say small steelie. That, and I've never seen a "reside" that red this time if year, and/or that dark.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
A close look at the dorsal fin of the fish in question looks to be deformed - making it a hatchery fish.

If indeed a hatchery fish it is unclipped and therefore likely a out of basin steelhead stray.

curt

·
Registered
42 Posts
My vote is red side i have swung up a few on the lower D that had me wondering. I have caught 22" hatchery steelhead and 22" resident trout on that river. All the wild steelhead i have landed down there let me know right away its no trout, taking multiple runs ripping into the backing. My first season there i was trying to show my friend how to spey cast and on my first solid swing before my muddler sank a large trout or steelhead (still not sure to this day) came up and grabbed it we landed in my 22" measure net tail fully sticking out. You can often spot some huge trout in the back eddies sipping on middges and bwo this time of year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.