Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there doing that ? Got a general nudge for a newb as to where to start on that big river , nothing too specific needed - Pm me if you like, thanks fellas-

·
Registered
137 Posts
A few ago, I had the opportunity of fishing Smallie's on the Snake in the Cache Creek area. Before going, I called a shop or two in the Lewiston/Clarkston region for advice and went with their recommendations; too far back to recall what I used.

GT

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on, fly selection Iv'e got, just wondering since that river's a monster, do you have to fish 40 miles out of town to find good fishing? Up stream from the twin towns , downstream? Just some basics ...

I never met a tight lipped smalley...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just find water and you will find lights out smallie fishing. That whole section of river has smallies thick in it. Most average about 1-2lbs but there are some 5-6lbers to be had. Plus there are Rocky Mtn. Bones in there for some added fun. I would give it a while though before the good fishing hits. Pre spawn can produce some rather large fish that will crush a streamer or crayfish pattern. As soon as the water hits 50 deg. it will be great fishing.

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
I've hooked into a # of them in the fall fishing about 4-5 miles upriver of Asotin. They were especially hanging in runs with some grass in them.

Great fight from those little footballs - I wish i'd had a 4 or 5wt switch rod along. Anything small and buggy seemed to draw strikes. I was fishing a floating line - I'm guessing a sinktip would multiply the strikes exponentially.

I was told by a local FFer that it's even better during the summer but i've never been there before late September so would have no idea.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trout fishing is best between the dam and Rush Creek , Very best between Wild Sheep and Granite .. Not much dry fly fishing except in the foam lines in the eddys, Fish wolley bugger types with heavy beads. You will have great fishing, trout, bass and a bunch of other stuff. This is a great fly area have fun. :thumb:

nunyet

Sorry , I was replying too the Hells Canyon thread.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
They are everywhere. My folks lived for 10 years in The Dalles. Many areas around there on both sides. I have always done well with brown,yellow & white combo clousers although I doubt it matters. Good luck and let us know how you do !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.