Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Smallmouth Fishing

626 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Brad Niemeyer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for where and when to go for smallmouth bass? I've heard about fishing the Yakima downstream from Benton City. Anyone ever done it? When is the best time to go? Any tips on gear, flies, etc?

#4 ·
Back in '93 when I was doing my "purgatory in the desert" ...I lived in Richland and I fished 3 spots on the lower Yakima...Below benton city bridge ( lots of 12 inch smallies and a few 12 in trout) below Horn rapids dam ( 12" smallies) and from west richland down river ( lots of larger smallies, biggest i ever got was about 4 pounds, carp and channel cats too!)

The fly of choice was a heavily weighted rusty brown woolly bugger or crawfish pattern...one of my co-workers was knockin' em dead on a "rootbeer wiggletail grub"...so I adapted my fly to that profile...Some people have reported 20 fish days with bass up to 7 pounds in the pre-spawn time frame...

I report more like 4 small fish per day (and one lunker)

Does that help?

-Piscean

Calmness is power....:thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.