Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Due to the response, I'd have to say not many. They don't don't grow very big in these parts, but in Steamboat Bay, SE Alaska, we jigged for them off the boat. These smelt were up to 10" and fight like a trout on steroids, and they bite a small white jig and hit hard, not like kokanee, these fish nail it, and go crazy. If they grew big, EVERYONE would use flies on smelt.

·
Registered
729 Posts
fish pirate, thats pretty enventive there, never thought of that. they spawn thru sinclair inlet, and oyster bay in bremerton by the thousands. I 'm gonna try it, if I'm correct I usually see people fishing for them in the fall. alot of orientals throw there minnie trawlers over the spawning beds and pull them in, they'll freak seeing someone flyfishing for them. Ben

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fish till ya drop.
Then suck it up
and fish the evening hatch.

Man, you want some fun....go for those giant smelt they call Shad
below Bonneville with the 2oz. 2 wt. Naw ya better go to a 4wt. 3oz. These guys are supercharged and got a little current behind em and go to 4#.
Use bright colored bonefish charlies & cast along the edge of the
current riffs. Hold on tight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fish till ya drop.
Then suck it up
and fish the evening hatch.

The run peaks sometime in June and goes into July. There is somewhere on the Web that shows Bonneville fish counts or some newspapers do too. When you see shad in the counts....GO!
Guys fish em certain places clean down to Camus. Somma the better spots are boat access only though.
For Bankies go to Bonneville and look till you find fish.
Oranges and bright yellow stuff is good. Red OK too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.