Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say I've never smoked crack. But sometimes flyfishing seems just as crazy. Why else would a mature (laughing allowed) person row around and around a lake throwing bits of metal, fur, and feather into the water in hopes a fish will mistake it for food and eat it? Sure, they call it fishing not catching, but if we never caught a fish would we do this at all? HELL NO! It's the take, that jolt on your line and the insuing struggle to land a fish that makes this sport/hobby/addiction worth it. By now you might be asking what is prompting ths post. Here's my story..."it's sad but true."
Saturday my lovely wife, my healing dog, and I headed over to the Okanogan highlands. We were going to meet a well driller and our contractor at our property to get the process of developing Glenraven Ranch started. Glenraven is our dream of semi-retirement in 5 or so years. More on that some other time.
Our 12 foot rowboat, custom built by Gig Harbor boatbuilding, is in tow behind the pickup. I have hopes of taking my wife and dog for a short fishing break from home building tasks and camping. So after plunking down a lot of greenbacks to have someone punch a hole in our ground we headed for Lost Lake. We arived just before noon, a stupid time to fish most lakes. Add to the impending sense of failure it was a full moon phase, yes, I'm superstitious. My two partners are wonderfully patient and the dog even snoozes for the 3 or so hours of rowing and throwing. I start with a full sink line and a leech, the same one that nailed more that a dozen fish on my last venture there. Nada! Switch flies. Nada. Try here, try there. Fast strip, slow strip, strip, pause strip-strip, even try to remember that tune Sparse uses to time his stripping. NADA!
Here comes the smoking crack part. I start to concede the fact it gonna be a skunk kind of day. I row along the weed line toward shore with full intent of going home. Wham, zing-zing-zissss goes my line, some trout with a mouth full of halfback size 8 bends my rod over and heads off. I drop the oars, grab my rod and announce too soon..."YES!" The trout thinks otherwise and heads for the weeds and LDR's himself. Damn!!!
Can anyone guess how much longer I stayed on the water? Can anyone guess how many fish I caught? Can anyone guess how many other patterns and line combo's I tried? It doesn't matter, I might as well be smoking crack.
Bless my wife, she says she could tell by the line scream and the rod bend that it was at least 20 plus inches long. Who am I to argue with her???

:dunno :dunno :dunno

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Roper, I feel your pain. My addiction isn't as bad as it used to be. Before, the only thing that would take me off of a lake was the combination of darkness and the distance from the launch to my truck. Nowadays, I just limit myself to only one full bladder when fishing stillwaters. In other words: "When I gotta go, I gotta go."

By the way, which Lost Lake (location) did you fish?

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
More proof to my theory that we're just here to provide entertainment for the gods. Did you hear, or thought you heard, laughter coming from no place in particular?

The gods were probably saying, "Looks like he's giving up...Let's see if we can keep him out there. Any of you other gods want to place any bets? Whoops! Fish On!"

And they weren't talking about YOUR fish!

Jimbo:+

G

·
Ha ha haaaaaaaaa haaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaaa :rofl
Rope - that's a refreshing account. I owe practically all my humility (in spades) to those darn trout and their fits of illusiveness. At least your wallet is a little lighter, your property is a little more pourous, and your wife and dog's expectations for your on-water results are now comfortingly low!
Actually, though, it doesn't surprise me that some tough 'bow (I presume) carried out a hit on your halfback in the shallower zone. While June's warmth suggests that fish may well go seeking cooler climes of the depths, there is the certain prescence of a slender nymph which migrates to shore through shoal-water zones, and trout can't help but cruise in search of them (they usually don't have to look too far). It's damsel time, man!!!
Fish the nymphs from 9am into the early afternoon. I've seen nymphs migrating all day this time of year. The bonus is that, by this time, many of the 18"+ "thugs" know that by cruising the near-shore reeds and grasses they will come across the odd, easily slurped, windblown adult. When the damsels decide to mate en-masse (usually about the time you've got a few adults resting on your fly line, or trying to mate with your dry)... you'll swear off the crack forever!
:thumb

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
I'm with ya bro. It's a sickness really :beathead
At least you and I have supportive wives to humor us along. Even though they may never truly 'get it', they still love us no matter how goofy we get when a silly little fish actually bites our fly. :+

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
What is your fixation with smoking crack, I saw nothing related to smoking crack in your post, I think of flyfishers more as the hallucinagenic drug type because you have to be slightly off your rocker to stand in 39 degree water all day casting in vain for a fish your not going to keep anyway.:smokin -tom

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
If you'd ever taken Psychology 101, and if you'd paid attention, you'd remember "intermittent reinforcement" and that it's the most effective form of behavior modification. It's why flyfishing is worse than crack. Cast two thousand times and you only remember the cast where you saw a shadow move towards your fly, and start in on the next two thousand casts.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"First of all let me say I've never smoked crack. But sometimes flyfishing seems just as crazy."

You must have missed that due to the peyote you've been chewing on, right?

:rolleyes

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Boy Tom you hit the nail on the head with that one. You have to some kind of nut to do that. And I think that most fly fishers fit that mold. I can remember standing all day in the rain on the Sauk waiting for nothing to bite so I can go home with a stupid grin on my face because I was out steelheading.:( :( ;( }( :+

Jim

G

·
Hooking a fish is positive reinforcement for early hours, long drives, standing in rain, thousands of casts, sore collarbones, ditching work... And if it weren't intermittent (instead, constant), would it be nearly so much fun, or as positively reinforcing, or quite as rewarding, whenever we "intermittently" do?
:smokin

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

Great point...another way of looking at it is to see flyfishing as the triumph of hope over experience.
I remember one day when I arrived home form my latest skunking and my wife, after listening, said, "I think I've finally figured out fishing. It's about disappointment." Weil, that's when I rolled out a whole series of examples (second marriages, being a Red Sox fan, etc.) that show how we choose to hope even though experience tells us otherwise. She was unconvinced.
But, that's MY story and I was sticking to it until you brought up the Intermittent Reinforcement concept. You've nailed it!

Now to answer Roper's quiz...

1. How much longer? At least until too dark to see or at least three more hours, whichever was longer.

2. How many more fish? Nada...zilch.

3. Pattern/line combinations attempted? Your number of patterns times the number of lines available, of course. My second guess would be that you stayed with the same presentation until you quit. But I think my first guess is closer to reality.

So, how'd I do?

Thanks, Roper, for sharing a great little story!

Mike

:thumb

·
Almost Senior Member
109 Posts
My guess you were on the water 2 more hours.
Caught 0 fish.
You kept the same combo for 1 hour then changed for the next hour got fed up and left.
How close was I.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sometimes I wonder... I thought fly fishing was supposed to be fun? I ask myself that when it's 100 degrees, no wind, no shade, I've run out of water, I'm walking through waist high grass and I've already seen 8 rattlesnakes... All because someone told me there was a fish out there? No wonder my girlfriend thinks I'm insane.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

G

·
LOL...
World, the only way that's insane is if it was in search of a school of the "illusive" yellow perch, armed with worms in fear they'd give you too much trouble with a fly. Otherwise, I say let 'er keep thinking she has a reclamation project on 'er hands. If you convince her you're perfectly sane too soon, she might grow suspicious, or dump yer ass!

:beer2

PS Those rattlers may well have been wondering just exactly what the hell you were doing out there - never mind the average person.

:smokin

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
To hell with B.F. Skinner and behavior modification-- a bunch of brunswieger I should think, though I taught it for years.
Let's talk real here:

CRACK......................................FLYFISHING

Addictive..................................ditto
Pricey.....................................ditto
Illegal....................................illegal in most waters
Ruins health...............................ditto
Wives don't like..........................." "
You get high..............................." "
Friends,job,
Family life suffer........................." "
God has no use for........................." "
Dogs will bite you........... ............." "
Social rejection..........................." "
Needs therapy for cure....................." "
AFT does not approve......................." "
Sentence is five to life..... .............Life

Off-hand, I'd say there is no real difference.

Babby:rolleyes :p :p :p

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Hey Babby. Why do you always talk about Brunsweiger sandwiches. There's other lunch meat out there that's just as good. Lets see there's Liverwurst,brunsweiger,brunsweiger gosh I can't think of anything else.:p :-( :+ :rofl

Jammy

·
Registered
777 Posts
She handles my insanity pretty well, until I called her the other night at 2 am from the middle of some lake to letter know I'd be fishing til morning. That's when I got the, "You're insane..." speech. I like to keep it that way, if they think you're sane, then they actually expect you to do sane stuff with them! I like the reclamation project idea, keeps her interested, good thinkin'!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Im pretty sure this is my favorite discussion line yet on the board... how could poor old roper know what he would start... ps. jim- if you want to feel better while steelheading on the sauk in the sleet and rain you could try smoking crack!;) }( :rofl
-tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.