Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I fished between HWY 522 and confluence of the Sky.
Spotted decent numbers of "bright" rollers and splashers, and a flotilla of sleds, prams and rafts of various sizes, some drifting, some trolling and others anchored.
The four hours of time spent on the water I witnessed one bright 15 to 20 lb. silver boated. I tossed everything I thought would entice, including a popper, with no takes..

Saturday I told my brother the news that I found the "missing coho".

After the 3 mile "heart walk" downtown with my wife and a hearty breakfast, I called him up, he drove over to the house, and we headed to the river.

Saturday's flotilla was suprisingly smaller and the fishing technique different.
Instead of watching the repeating parade, everyone was anchored up and casting about.
Again my brother and I threw everything at them to no avail, and it was quite frustrating to watch a bright one splash 20 to 30 feet in front of you right after drifting through the spot as if they were mocking you :p.

And for the time we spent there fishing, it looked as if the bank anglers, most of them tossing gear, had much more success than the boaters...

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Ugh. Coho in the Snohomish. I used to go fish it when I lived in Snohomish (with gear), but I stopped after 6 straight trips of nothing one year. Frustration. Maybe some have it dialed, but man, it's rough. A lot of the fish are flossed. I'm sure a large majority of the fish you saw caught from the bank were flossed.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
Silvers are very tight mouthed fish in the rivers. I used to fish the Main Stilly down by the cement plant with Matt Burke. He was into breaking his Spey rods and catching lots of Humpies. But all the silvers used to just laugh at you as they swam by.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
In order to get silvers to bite you need to get them to take orders. That big pool by the Cement Plant had many fish in it when they were running. And as you waded across the shallower water to get there they would be shooting by in schools to get up river. They would be running into your legs.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Silvers are very tight mouthed fish in the rivers.
Thats not always true, silvers will eat in the fresh. Second best in the salmon world IMO, next to the beautiful zombie chum. Wait for a cloudy day, toss pink starlight leech.....repeat.[/QUOTE]In most rivers this is true. Not so much in the Snohomish system. They have a reputation for being the toughest coho to get to bite.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Ugh. Coho in the Snohomish. I used to go fish it when I lived in Snohomish (with gear), but I stopped after 6 straight trips of nothing one year. Frustration. Maybe some have it dialed, but man, it's rough. A lot of the fish are flossed. I'm sure a large majority of the fish you saw caught from the bank were flossed.
It's very hard to floss bright coho from the snohomish. I'm pretty sure there is a little scuba diver at the mouth of the river that duct tapes their mouths shut before they run up river. :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

1 month fishing hard. 2 fish 5 hookups. Sad...very sad...bawling:

·
CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
1,540 Posts
did very well last year from the bank.
all fish were taken on dick nites. this year, 0.
not nearly as many in the river. there are some nice ones though.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Snohomish, or it's particular brand of ho's, but they can't be much worse than the Clackamas river fish which suffer from nearly complete jaw paralysis when pooled up and rolling.

There was a time when I was young (and didn't handle rejection well) that I would beat the water to a froth with every conceivable size and color of fly I could conjur. That's a considerable array of patterns since my collection of tying materials now consumes nearly a cubic yard of storage space.

A few things I learned about rolling coho from that process:

1) Rolling coho are indeed mocking you.
2) I have a tendency to hyper-focus (OK, "obsess") on things.
3) Rolling coho are predictably lock-jawed, but unpredictatably so.
4) Casting to rolling coho is fly-fishing equivalent of addictive gambling.

And if you are serious about punishing yourself...

5) Fish very early or very late.
6) Fish something big and flashy (preferably early or late)

Or...

7) Fish something very small and very subtle.

Better yet. Wait until it rains and work the travel lanes in faster water.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
7) Fish something very small and very subtle.

Better yet. Wait until it rains and work the travel lanes in faster water.
Or better still, save some cash and go fish a good silver river in Alaska, where they actually do bite, and bite a lot, and bite aggressively, and bite surface wogs, and turn and chase your fly downstream........all day........no wait, don't do that. It will ruin you forever and you won't even waste time chasing them down here.............

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
My hypothesis is that a coho's willingness to bite decreases exponentially as the inverse of number of days since leaving salt water. When I fish for freshwater coho, I fish when and where I think I will intercept fresh arriving fish that are less than 24 hours from leaving the salt. That strategy increased my catch rate by 1000% or more. The best alternative was mentioned by Mingo - fish Alaska where the coho are aggressive and bite really well; I mean really, really, really well.

Sg

·
Registered
695 Posts
Maybe we have slowly bred the bite out of the fish, as years worth of coho fishing has weeded out the fish that are aggressive enough to bite. The only ones that spawn are the ones that didn't feel the urge to strike at passing offers. Seems like this wouldn't really be a problem in Alaska...

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
the snohomish river coho lockjaw phenomenon (S.R.C.L.P.) is something ive been working on for probably 15 years. while they arent "impossible" to catch they are as close as it gets sometimes. a fly rod is an especially futile tool for the job. while trolling plugs/divers, casting spoons/spinners and running the dick nite all have there time and place and do work at times, it takes the right conditions to put numbers up. the main problem IMO with the snohomish is the water temps, the makeup of the river itself and the pressure it gets. coho are easily the spookiest salmon ive ever encountered. they hate boats! and buzzbombs raining down on them. and they really hate when you start hooking them.

the majority of the river is dredged and lacks really any current especially on an incoming tide. couple that with warm water temps, favorable moving tides and the sky running at manageable flows and the coho are just pushing through the river. head down swimming. coho are a bitch to get to eat it takes numbers of fish to find that one biter. tis a needle in a haystack. the most favorable conditions are cool, cloudy days, the sky running low low low (so low they dont wanna move up like we had last fall) and fish stacking up in the upper reaches of the snohomo (think thomas eddy up). find a good slot that isnt getting beat up anchor waaaaay back and run something small just off bottom in the deepest darkest hole over and over and over and eventually you get whacked.

on the fly, i have better luck hooking red firetrucks swinging and stripping on the upper sky. those chromers on the move have never panned out for me. and i quit caring enough to push the issue. bring the 5wt and streamers and whail on cutts!

BTW my GF's dad is gung ho bout it bout it when it comes to coho on the sky system especially. been doing it his whole life. 0-1 hookup this weekend in 20hours on the water. ben howard all the way down to thomas eddy. with gear.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Or better still, save some cash and go fish a good silver river in Alaska, where they actually do bite, and bite a lot, and bite aggressively, and bite surface wogs, and turn and chase your fly downstream........all day........no wait, don't do that. It will ruin you forever and you won't even waste time chasing them down here.............
It's on my list, - trust me. I love silvers, but I'm already ruined by my first Tarpon experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.