Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Time...I went to the Middle Fork ...followed Lake Dorthy Road for several miles stopped at two places that looked nice but no real action (had two strikes)(all before first bridge). The river looked liked in might have been blown out a little.
This place is BEAUTIFUL, MAGNIFICENT, AWESOME, I absolutley Love the surrondings and River.....I can only imagine it in July.
I traveled (drove) about 5 miles beyond the first bridge and encountered a nice stream approx. 3 miles after bridge, but turned around due to time constrictions. I was wondering what lay ahead. I don't want anyone to divulge secret places but are there fishing places above the first bridge. I want to go back and fish/explore this/summer. If someone would like to divulge information it would very much be appreciated. I have friend coming in and would like to take to-semi close place and this could be it. To those who live close by my...my...my....lucky folks. Nice looking spread.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's some great fishing further up and plenty of space to yourself. Hike a bit from the access point and the fish DO get larger. Large is a relative term in this case, but it's not all 6-8 inchers.

You're right, July is a very nice time on that river, but be sure to check it out in October. There's some nice fishing then.

TDub

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

Well with all the snow still up there and the rain that we've been getting I'm suprised that it isn't higher.

Yes this is a nice river and if you have a map you can find some nice places up there. If you got as far as the Taylor River. Now you need to go a little farther. The road goes to the right a little bit past the Taylor but to drive it you need a good truck or a 4X4 as the road is a goat trail. Lost two hub caps up there a year ago. That is one hell of a road. But there are a few good spots up there to fish. Every once in the while you will tie into a good fish say 14"to 16". So it all ain't so bad.

Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
I tried that road last year, too. Not a nice road. I don't have a 4x4, but that would be the best way to go. It's pretty hairy in spots. There was a little car stuck up there last year. I couldn't figure out how they made it as far as they did.

A long hike would get you to that part of the water, too.

TDub

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad to hear you liked it. Took a trip up there friday evening to check out the flows, yes it is a little high and quite cloudy. Saw another fly guy up there at the large pool and sandbar a ways before the bridge but didn't stop to ask how he did...really looking forward to some quality fishing up there this year.

It is a great system to have so near seattle. Pull-offs all the way up it allow for access. The road that heads for the taylor near the end is gated, but hikeable, with some relatively nice campsites (so i hear, never camped there) And yes, the road that curves to the right after the taylor is rough, but have fun and be prepared for the worst.

It may see alotta pressure but do a little hiking and exploring and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the fish and the scenery. Please be sure to pick up after yourself, as too many others fail to do so. See ya'all up there.

Fly For Fun

"Trout Don't Live in Ugly Places" - Alex Higala

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.