Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone wants to head over on Sunday and throw some line. I know the fishing is slow there this time of year, but I need to get out. Looking for a buddy, especially given water temps and such. I'm happy to drive if you live in the Seattle area, otherwise can meet you there at a mutually agreeable time. Motto: Fishing, not catching.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That could be the understatement of the year, to this point. Given the flood warnings that have been going out, being on a Western Washington river could be bad for your health.
I am not planning on going in the water. "Shore" or "Beach" fishing. I found a few lakes I could drive to, but lake fishing isn't my cup of tea, with the exception of high alpine lakes, which I don't feel like snowshoeing to.

·
formally FlyOnThe Beach
28 Posts
Wondering if anyone wants to head over on Sunday and throw some line. I know the fishing is slow there this time of year, but I need to get out. Looking for a buddy, especially given water temps and such. I'm happy to drive if you live in the Seattle area, otherwise can meet you there at a mutually agreeable time. Motto: Fishing, not catching.
We were out doing a river rescue yesterday at the base of the falls. Let me say the I would not even fish this at this time. Flood warning in effect and let me say it was running at Mach 3. Conditions are treacherous for inexperienced. Put the rod away and grab a kayak. It was faster than "running" pace. Find another river or better yet stick to the Lakes or Beaches. Munn Lake was OK on Monday.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?site_no=12141300

Keep an eye on the gauge.

I was up there Saturday 3/11 checking out the conditions. Big difference in the upper river above the MF Campgrounds vs farther down. Go as far up as you can, to the Dingford trailhead if you have the wheels for it. There's snow on the upper road but I made it in my Tacoma.
Very helpful, thanks! I have a built FJ80 Cruiser so I'm VERY HAPPY for challenging terrain.

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
I can't make it Sunday, but I'll be curious to hear how the road looks.

Flow rate has dropped 2,000 CFS since midnight. Assuming we don't get too much rain tomorrow, you might be OK.

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
Dude, go fish the salt. It is seriously one of the best times of year for SRC and resident coho. Fishing the MF this time of the year is wasting your life.
Can't argue with that. I'm thoroughly sympathetic to the OP's desire to get up into the mountains and onto some moving water, but the Sound is where it's at right now.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I would be on the sound, but I don't have gear for the salt. Too OCD about the burl and nickel on my Winston. I have an anodized 8wt. Coming next week though! So next weekend I'll try the sound. Maybe I'll just go on another snow show this weekend (did so last weekend and ended up engaged by the end).

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Thanks guys, I would be on the sound, but I don't have gear for the salt. Too OCD about the burl and nickel on my Winston. I have an anodized 8wt. Coming next week though! So next weekend I'll try the sound. Maybe I'll just go on another snow show this weekend (did so last weekend and ended up engaged by the end).
Well in that case, count me out for snowshoeing with ya. <rimshot>
Srsly though, congrats. A little TLC after fishing the Sound and your stuff will be fine, especially if you're not taking it out there regularly. It's going to be tough fishing up the snoqualmie forks this weekend, but if you go, go high for clear water. You might consider the upper south fork. At that point though, just keep driving another 30 mins and fish the upper Yakima. Any fork you fish, by the time you get up to fishable water this weekend, I think it will be equal time/challenge for your vehicle to go over Snoqualmie Pass and fish the Yak.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.