Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question regarding Weyerhauser's Snoqualmie Tree Farm:

so I know that the conservation group Evergreen Forest Trust (something like that) was attempting to purchase the snoqualmie tree farm and pay for it using the sale of government bonds. I also remember reading that the deal fell through and that another timber company is now going to purchase the property (Hancock?).

However, I read something the other day about the bond sale now perhaps becoming an option once again. Does anyone know the current situation on this? I was very excited about this conservation group's idea to essentially seal-off the property to future development and the cancerous sprawl of the eastside.

Regardless of who the new owner is, I am also wondering what future access will be for fishermen, hunters, cyclists, hikers, etc. I think that the community (WFF and others as well) should make it very apparent that continued access is important to us. I really enjoy that area and I don't mind paying for the pass when it allows me access to alot of water where I don't worry about my vehicle being broken into by the local rif-raf.

· Registered
316 Posts
Might be an opportunity for people from WashingtonFlyFishing (possibly also Westfly & FAOL), the Fly Fishing clubs, WashingtonTrout, etc. to form a group to plead our case for the waters to stay open and agree to help with clean ups, etc.

Just a thought!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

· Registered
196 Posts
The tree farm has been sold to a subsidiary of John Hancock Insurance. I believe they already own sizeable sections in Snohomish County north of the tree farm. A call to the tree farm toll free # gets a recorded message saying that Weyerhauser is no longer the owner, permit sales have been stopped, and the gates will remain locked to motorized traffic. The public is welcome to roam on foot, on horse, or on mountain bike. This means your access to the North Fork SNQ and the small lakes will have to be off of the county road that goes past Spur 10. If there are others please let us know about them.

This entire area from I-90 to Monroe and Sultan is a real jewel. If someone could save it for future generations to enjoy they would be as famous as T. Roosevelt or the Olmsteds. Till the public takes ownership our only hope for preservation is with the timber owners. Locked gates keep at least most of the bubbas out. They only go where they can drive to. The 60 dollar Weyerhauser annual fee did the same thing and provided a little money for gate attendants, maintanence, etc. To see what happens to an area with no restrictions drive north on Stossel Creek RD into Snohom. county towards Sultan. On the weekends the road has numerous turnouts packed with people getting there kicks discharging firearms. The ground is literally carpeted with shell casings (were it isn't already covered with garbage!). Stop, close your eyes and you would swear the TV's tuned to CNN war coverage. There are tons of garbage at all turnouts.

Note; Friends of the Trail in North Bend is doing a lot of cleanup in this area currently.

So bottom line is; Great hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing, backpacking, all within 1 hour of downtown latte land. Without public oversight/enforcable rules the area will be, in succesion, degraded by the lawless, closed in reaction by the land owners, trees removed for income by same, property sold for developement, houses built around your(and my) secret little lake. Our only hope, that all us folks who use it band together to save it.
When do we meet?

· Patrick
1,792 Posts
I would just like to say a hats off to Freinds of the Trail. If any of you out there help with tihs clean up thank you. This past summer I came across many of the areas they have been cleaning up with photos of before and after. They are doing great work along the I-90. Groups like this sure help clean up after the jerks who leave their garbage droppings behind. :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

· AKA Beadhead
485 Posts
I too was saddened to hear the conservation deal was superceded by the Hancock offer. But recently I heard the Hancock deal did not go through either. It seemed Weyerhauser wanted some quick cash but is not in so much of a hurry anymore???:dunno

bh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.