Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
resident lurker
131 Posts
generally the snoqualmie forks are not worth the trip until mid-summer or so, when the water finally drops. I tried fishing the south fork last year about this time, but damn near froze my tukus off. (no fish, either)
If you do fish the forks in late summer, expect mostly 8-10 in cutt/rainbows, with a few up to about 12 in. From my experience, the middle fork fishes best. I'm sure there's a lot of guys out there that know the river better than i do, but i've found a few really productive stretches and then a whole lot of nice-looking water where i can't get anything to rise.
Just bring the old standby flies, I use a sz 14 parachute adams and a sz 12 elk hair caddis about 90% of the time.
Come June/July you'll probably find a lot more info on the forks at this site. I don't think anybody considers it their "secret" river.
good luck!

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Why does everybody get this wrong. All three forks are open year around. Just because the regs aren't very clear on this I don't know. But They are open all year.

When you fish them you have to do it at the right time of day or you will get skunked. I found out to fish the S/Fork it is better to fish it in the evening. But the other two forks I'm not to sure when the best time is to hit them.

Jim

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The Snoqualmie has to be looked at like two seperate river systems. The river above the falls and the river below the falls. Not to slight anyone but to be specific, ok, Below the falls is a saltwater influenced system. No salt water fish is going above the falls. So fishing below the falls is it's own trip, and there is some excellent trout fishin there for cut throat and some nice bows. Above the falls are three forks. Each is very different from the other. I have fished each for over 30 years and feel I have a right to my opinion. I paid the dues. The confluence area just above the falls is a JOKE. This is along Reinhar Rd (sp), you can figure out whERE i MEAN, ok? You want to get up in to the forks of the river. Each fork has it's own flavor. It is an exploration so I won,t tell you. It is a good trip and when you figure out the three forks you will have learned more than you will ever be able to put in words.

It ain't easy, but nothing worthwhile is! I am open to specic suggestions but I won't tell you. You have to go do it, to be able to ask the question. I hope that makes sense. I don't know it all, but what I know i will say so, and wht I don't know I will say so. My claim to "fame" is knowing what I don't know.
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Worth the drive. And open on all three forks above the dam (check some of the similar posts from this time last year). I agree with both Darik and Old Man, in that late summer when the flows are down is probably the best time. However, tell that to the 8 incher I caught on the S Fork yesterday evening (say 5:00 PM to be accurate). Yes it was coldish, but certainly not as cold as it was Saturday morning (I was in a Float Tube on Lake Boron - just me, the geese and ducks, and one smallish fish I enticed to a smallish streamer). Plus it felt good fishing in the warmish evening, floating line and fishing dry on top. And even if the flows are a bit high, a good time to explore some new stretches of river (this weekend I will venture onto the N Fork; my rod, a small daypack, and my dog -- checking out the neighborhood for later this summer).

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I am probably about to commit a major faux paus but here goes. I just re read Rollie 35's post and he eluded to a damn on th Sno. He gave the impression of Knowing the river. Well B.S.! The Sno is a free river. No dams to restrict it. That river is as dangerous as the Sky. Just go look at Snoqualmie Falls and check it out. A long ways to the bottom! If you get sucked into the current at Snoqualmie in what ever you got a BIG problem. And if you are fishing the confluence area of the three forks you are right there!

I quesss what I'm saying is it ain't cool to be cool if you don't really don't know. Dig what I'm sayin? So don't be cool to be cool!

This post really pissed me off. Ignorance combined with stupidity and EGO should be against the law.

If this forumn doesn't like my input just say so and I AM GONE!

G

·
Anybody want to float the South Fork from Fire Training Center to the confluence? Not me, man - NO FRIGGIN WAY!
There is a man-made cement structure on the South Fork which is what I assume dude was referring to.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think Rollei 35 is a little confused but I think there actually is a small dam on the S. Fork. It is right next to I-90 as you go west. It is on the right where the river goes under the freeway and hits twin falls. You can see the mini resevoir as you drop down that big hill where the cops love to nail speeders by Edgewick. It is right below that ugly ass gravel pit you see from the freeway. I Have only seen the spot from the freeway and don't know why it is there or what ppurpose it serves (maybe flood control). Has anyone seen this?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. My point is don't take that river litely man. It can be terminal. And when we post don't elude to what we don't really know. Someone could take it too inclusive. OK! It would be a real bummer to drop in below the confluence and not be ready for the falls. Or we can post and not think someone would apply our post to another part of the river. That is the good thing about a forumn. Enough people hopefully put in their input and an overall picture can be partially displayed. And hopefully no one goes out and does something really stupid.

·
Registered
317 Posts

the "dam" in question is some sort of power producing device for reasons unknown to me, it is located off of exit 38 on I-90 the same exit as the fire training academy but on the other side of the offramp. i dont know if fishing near it is legal but ive tried and there is a nice deep pool above it and some nice pockets below it and there are decent numbers of 6" cutts in there but i sure looks like potential for big ones as the water looks prime. also, if you crash through the brush far enough you will find another, although smaller dam-like device on the south fork. i have fished the south fork, which is the smaller of the 3 and it has fish but the numbers and size are disappointing. but ive hiked up along it and someof the hard to access holes look really promising. the middle fork up along taylor river road is really one of the best flyfishing destinations for river trout on the west side. it is selective gears fishery. this part offers pretty good access and has trout around 12" in the holes. plus the water is diverse. but numbers and size decline as you move higher in elevation. the North fork has poor access and ive never fished it and most of it is in weyerhauser property but i'll bet by the looks and access difficulties that it has some admirable fishing, but this is arbitrary. -ryan

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Well let me put a few words in here. There is a small dam on the S/Fork And it raises and lowers with the flow on the river. It also has a small fish ladder there so the Cutts,sculpins,white fish and rainbow can get to the upper reaches and do their spawning thing. It also has a small power house there for what I don't know. All of this is just upstream from Olallie Twin Falls State park. I have fished above it but my results were the same as usual. But I was fishing in the mid-day when I should have been closer to the evening.

I don't know the reason for this small dam,but about 30 to 35 years ago we had a mid-winter thaw and one very big flood on the S/Fork. It was so big it washed away two eastbound lanes of the freeway.

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts

Yep. There are 2 'dams' that I am aware of on the S Fork. One you can see from the freeway just West of Exit 38 and one just upstream at Olallie State Park (Twin Falls State park is downstream by Exit 34\Edewick Rd).

As for jumping on Rollie, I think applying a little tact would go a long way here. I'm all for calling someone out if you think they are full of it, but it can be done in a way that does not insult them if they just mis-spoke\typed. And this way you don't look like an a$$ that is just looking to boost your own ego by spewing out all your hard eanred knowlege\experience in an attempt to make others look bad\stupid. Again, use some tact and not only look smart, but respectful... As for trying to save someone from floating over one of the many falls on the snoqualmie system, that seems a little extreme to me. For one, the big falls is very well marked (and does in fact inlcude a diversion dam) and the flows are very managable there for a way-word drifter to handle. As for other dangers on the river - anyone floating any river owns the responsibility to check it out for themselves. If you don't know what's around the next corner - you really should not be on the water. Park you boat\raft\pontoon\kayak\etc and scout out the river ahead of you. Rapids, sweepers, falls, etc are always a possibility. Even if you know a river very well, it can change from season to season and logs\sweepers can appear where you never saw one before. Be alert. Anyway - didn't mean to digress...

-Chad

·
Registered
85 Posts
Back to the fishing. I have had good (relatively) luck on both the Middle and South Forks at this time of year. It is year to year and depends completly on the water level, temp, and time of day. I would agree that the South Fork fishes best in the evening but fishing some of the deeper holes can pull a few fish. Most of the fish range from 6 to 9 inches but I have landed one 17 in RB (my only one over 11 inches from the south fork) and I have seen a 22 incher netted, measured and released by a better fisherman than I. (Yes it was above the falls). I have fished the hole half a dozen times since and never gotten a hit.

The Middle Fork is a bit of a frustration to me. There is so much good looking water and so few nice (better than 12 inches) fish that . . .. Despite my frustration, you can have a fun day, week, month fishing the length of the river. Above the confluance with the Taylor the river is great for getting away from the crowds and the fish;-). There are a few small 4-8 inch fish but the river and solitude are great. The section between the Taylor and the start of the forest service road (about 12 miles (give or take a few) as the river bends??) is the most popular and probably for good reason. Below that the middle fork is bigger water but can be productive. I believe the lower section has more fish over 12 inches but I am sure many would disagree.

The North Fork is stripped. It has a sharp fall and is scoured by run off. The insect population is smaller as are the fish. I have only landed little cuts and bows to 8 or 9 inches. Most are smaller and I feel bad hooking them. However, I am sure there are a few nice fish because the water looks soooooo good in spots. It is a great place to go fish in a quiet spot in the middle of the week, especially if you like to cover lots of water quickly. Fish the pockets and move. Late summer seems like the best time of year. I have no idea if a particular time of day is better than another.

Standard attractor patterns apply to all rivers. Any Caddis pattern, Adams, Hears Ears, Woolys, and Wolfs.

Have fun exploring and finding your favorate section.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.