Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the river (David Powell Rd) at dawn with my new 8 wt. Steelhead rod (thanks Santa) and black marabou on sinking line.
Fished from 7-9:30 am. And then again from 12-2:00, near the Tokul creek hatchery on Hatchery Rd.

skunked.

Anyone want to offer a Middle fork dryflyer tips on how to graduate from steelie newbie school? (I realize this could be painful.)

"It's the fishing and not the catching. (At least in my case...)"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not many fish in river last few weeks. I hit my favorite spots last saturday 12-27? with a sinking undertaker. Asked everyone how they had done-notta. I would tie a sinking fly and wait for the next good rain.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try the following:

On the snoqualmie, where the fish are hit hard, they tend to be close mouthed. At the same time, a few sleds, the odd flubbed cast or two doesn't put these fish down.

You can take advantage of this.

(1) As you fish down through the poll take fewer steps between casts.

or

(2) For each station make two casts instead of one, but vary the presentation. For example, for the first cast let the current pull the fly across the river (greased-line presentation). On the second, execute a classical swing.

or

(3) If you believe a certain stretch of water holds fish, but you don't get a pull the first time through. Immediately go back and fish the same water (but with a radically different fly - Especially color).

If I don't get a pull (or a fish) for 15 minutes in a pool I know holds water AND no one is fishing behind me, I change flies and go back to the beginning and start over.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is a weird year - The fish are late. Historically, the winter run fish start showing in decent numbers around mid-December and last through February.

Everytime I go to the upper Snoqualmie (above Fall City) I try to check the numbers of hatchery fish holding below the Tokul Creek Hatchery. About 2 weeks ago, I counted 10 fish. A few days ago (the last time I counted), I counted 3. The average has been about 6 - 8. Last year, this time, my log shows on average about 10 fish holding in the stream between mid-December and mid-January. I see one day in early January where the count was 22!

Cheers,

Michael

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

This is not about fishing,but it is about looking at them. Have you ever gone thru the hatchery At Tokul and went above the hatchery up towards the trestle,well that newer bridge. There is a small fish ladder there the the natives go up and over. I've seen some nice looking fish gang up there at the base. With all the people that fish that little creek,it's a wonder that any make it to there.

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Fished below fall city today - nothing :dunno

Did manage to hook a nasty chum for a few seconds. Yuck!

Last year there was a big push of fish that came through right at Christmas. I hope they're just late...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ditto. Tried for steelhead for 2 hrs, then trout for about 2 hours...nothing but a foul-hooked chum on his last leg. -Somehow managed to hook into the same fella twice. I fished by Carnation.
Didn't see any of the other 1,001 WA residents on the river catch anything either.

easygoer

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

Talking about Chum Made me think of tuesday when I was up on the Skagit. The bar that we were fishing from was just loaded with dead Chum. You could hardly take a step with out stepping on a dead one. And the smell,Whew it's out of this world. It's a good thing that the Stilly got lots of rain to wash all those nasty things down stream. That is all but two that I saw swimming below the bridge at Oso.

Jim

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Similar story here...trout fisherman looking to hook my first steelhead. No luck so far.

Fished the Sno at the mouth of the Tolt ... nothing
Fished the Sky at ben howard...zip
Fished the Pichuck at OK mill bridge ...zilch
... my new eight weight lamiglass casts great though...

And I've tied some mean steelhead flies in the absence of fish!

The sage continues....

·
Registered
177 Posts
>Have you ever gone thru the hatchery At Tokul [Creek]?

I've never done that, Jim. What a good idea. The next time I'm out there I'm going to spend an hour watching the ladder.

Cheers,

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.