1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather: Overcast with intermittent light rain and early peek-a-boo sunshine
Temerature: Air 38-40 Water 38-39
Approximate CFS: 1000
Techniques: Two nymph indicator rigs (double bead stone with bead head nymph dropper) and streamers

One of my New Years Resolutions is to fish new water. Another is to meet more members from WFF and make more friends. Today thanks to Derek of EmergingRivers I was able to check both of those off. After missing out on a couple of chances to fish with Derek a while back, due to my work schedule, today the planets were properly aligned. I met Derek at Orvis of Bellevue and loaded up my gear already grinning from ear to ear. We picked up Mick just around the corner at his place and headed over Snoqualmie Pass. On the ride over Derek impressed with his knowledge of the various rivers, forks of rivers and creeks. He explained how each one flowed through various gradients, what drainages each system collected and small details about each one. Imagine this, I was actually sitting quietly...tape recorder running to catch all that detailed information. No more than 90 minutes from meeting up we were in Cle Elum getting coffee, some remarkable sandwiches and Derek finalized our shuttle details. Off to the launch, which was still snow covered but we made that Clacka our launch sled and into the water we went. This place looked absolutely beautiful. We were treated to peek-a-boo sunshine through the clouds. While you were getting soaked we were putting on sunglasses and peeling off our top layer as we were experiencing a warmer than expected start.

We got rigged up for some nymphing our double rigs of double beaded stone flies and bead head droppers. The water was much more clear than anticipated. Derek had us drifting our gear through each and every seam and Mick and I seemed to catch on pretty quick. (I must admit that my first attempt at casting this double nymph indicator rig on my 5wt ended up looking like an Old Man Jim windblown double rig birdsnest special...this trout on moving water, nymphing tactic and casting such a rig is all very new to me.) After a nice detanglin it seemed like we were in business. Now Derek has explained the takes will be subtle as the water was still cold, about 38 or 39 degrees, so we better pay attention. I think he caught both of us looking around at the scenery, looking for eagles (we saw at least four) and missing many subtle takes. I think that each of us missed a few takes. I'll admit I must have missed a dozen or more because I'm a talentless slow learner.

Finally, the hookup! Oh yeah, I got you there buddy. I saw you flash that bright silver side. I set with a short strip set and it was on. Just a brief bit later Derek cradled a beautiful wild rainbow, unbuttoned it quickly and off into the deep pool he went having never been lifted from the crisp clear water.

Derek had been talking about casting streamers, and I was game. I've done that before, but having gotten the hang of this I was wondering. Derek rigged up a streamer rod for Mick. I put on one of my reels (not realizing how hilarious that would be soon) and Derek got Mick going into some streamer casting, swinging and slow stripping BAM. After just a few casts Mick is into a very bright nice wild rainbow. I'm in the back of the boat but I'd pay to be out in front of the boat to observe a few things. First, the look on Mick's face as he was new to this type of streamer fishing on the move. Second, the fish looked frisky and was putting up a nice fight. Third, (and from the aforementioned note) seeing Mick try to reel in a nice Upper Yakima wild rainbow using one of my reels which happens to reel on the correct, right, proper side! Mick later admitted to reaching at least three times with his left hand for the handle. I later joked asking him if he turned the rod upside down to reel, he had not, he proved to easily adapt. (I on the other hand could likely never actually reel in a fish with my left hand).

We continuted to toss streamers, each missing a few more fish. Hell, I was so slow to react that I missed a fish that hit my streamer twice hard...I was looking at a bald eagle who was looking at me waiting for me to hook the fish he was watching me miss.

Just before the take out we stopped and got in some quality time working a long run. Because I had brought it along I put together my switch rod and got some casting in using some of the things Mike, Leland, Bill and Brian had taught me on the water last week. I was rocking my double speys across the river (at a very narrow spot, but the casts really were nice) and got in about a half hour to forty minutes of casting before it was time to sled and winch the boat up the snow covered boat ramp.

Retraced our steps to get the shuttle key, drop off Mick, pick up my rig and get home. What an awesome day. Thank you Derek, EmergingRivers, for an absolutely fantastic introduction to the beautiful upper section of the Yakima. Now all I can do is start planning for my next trip out there. I look forward to fishing with you again soon, and encourage others to reach out to you to schedule a fantastic day on the water with one hell of a nice guy. Derek will impress you with his knowledge, skill and demeanor that will make you eager to fish with him again and again. Awesome day today. Thank you.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Mumbles, I find it hard to believe a guy with nearly 6500 posts just made his inaugural trip to the Yakima. You're either working way too hard or found some secret fishing locations here on the mossy side of the pass that none of us know about :hmmm: Glad you had a good trip and thanks for sharing.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Very nice Ed! Sounds like a great day! Derek, I'll have to get out on the Yak or elsewhere with you sometime!

·
FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs
793 Posts
Way cool Ed. Thanks. Mybe we can get together to fish sometime when my new job/schedule settle down. I'm working 2200 - 0600 Thurs to Mon. My body clock hasn't quite adjusted to that yet. Reprogramming the bod is harder now that I'm older.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.