Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what it takes to pass the technical part of the European FFF Master's instructor test (http://fff-e.tripod.com/program/master.htm)

Note: The applicant is allowed 3 attempts. If s/he fails on any one of these tests, s/he is done. One must pass ALL tests. As for myself, I'm not even close. I can sometimes accomplish a double haul cast of 25 meters (1 out of 5 attempts).

With a single hand, commercially available fly rod using a 6 wt line or less complete the following tests:

- 30 m cast with hauling
- 22 m cast without line hand
- 25 m cast - backhanded
- Deliver a backcast 25 m
- 18 m roll cast
- 15 m roll cast - backhanded
- switch cast 22 m
- switch cast backhanded 18 m
- Carry 24 m of line (leader included, measured from the rodtip to the fly) in air witha proper loop, with double hauling
- Pick up 18 m of line (leader included) off water, smoothly with a minimum of water disturbance and drop back straight on water.
- Cast all planes and angles with 18 m of line (leader included) - horizontally and vertically
- Presentation casts (12 m). Accurately throw straight, angled (45°) and curved line on command, long (15 m) and short (10 m) line.
- False cast and place the fly on target at 6 m, 12 m und 18 m with great accuracy.
- Pick line up (14 m, leader included), no false cast. Change direction of cast 45 degrees and cast forward 18 m.
- False cast at least 18 m (leader included). Still false casting strip line in and place fly 6 m away.
- Hold fly in hand (12 m of line stripped out), drop fly and make one false cast and shoot line forward 18 m.
- Starting with 10 m of fly line plus leader, using double haul, cast 25 m (straight) by making no more than 2 back and 2 forward casts.
- Demonstrate well controlled curve casts at 9 m, 12 m und 15 m.
- 12 m cast with bow next to leader.
- 12 m cast with bow in the middle of line
- 12 m cast with bow in end of line nearest the rod tip
- cast 15 m of line (leader included) with your bad hand (tight loop, double haul)
- Demonstrate a variety of casting techniques to provide a drag-free drift of your dry fly over a long distance (in different currents)

Cheers,

Michael

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Yikes!

But you know, a good bit of this is all about the rod. Carrying 24m of line is not about the angler, but the rod. All of my rods are soft enough to be overloaded carrying 75' of line.

That's not to say there is not skill involved, but the selection of the rod would be paramount to passing the test.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Casting is like the golf swing, you don't ever need to touch a river to be a good caster. Typically, one who is well rounded in the sport isn't at instructor level because the only practice they get is on the river where there are more variables than just distance and accuracy. They need to get rid of all of the distance and accuracy tests and set someone with a prime stretch of river with 6 to 10 current seams at different speeds with a lazy ol trout sipping flies just behind and under an overhanging bush where you only get one chance to cast and dead drift a fly 3 feet in front of the fish.

Now that is what I would call skill.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You have some great points but I think a good instructor is not necessarily someone who is a good demonstrator but more soemone who can explain something in terms that people can relate to. Tom White was a great instructor but I can't say he is one of the best casters. Steve Raymond is a great caster but isn't the best instructor.

Im my opinion, I believe that people want to catch fish and they want to learn to cast properly so that they have an advantage when they are on their own trying to catch fish. Although casting is an important part of fishing, fishing is more important to me.

I am just agreeing with you, thats all.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I read your post and sat down and had myself a good cry. I guess I have my work cut out for me.Now,tell me, when's the last time you used all those tricks in your fishing?
I will agree that being a good caster does not make you a good teacher. I am pretty sure that the International FFF test now relies heavily on the teaching skills as well. In my own case I was grilled pretty heavily over the teaching aspects of the test for Casting Instructor certification,(USA). And I had to cast well too.Not as stringent a test as the International one.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I suck at fly casting!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not afraid to admit it. BUT.....I know how to get a good lie and how to get a good presentation to the fish. So I get the hookups I need. But, I never aspire to be a teacher. But I have taught people how to get the basics and how to mend the line to either speed up fly or slow it down.

It's true, most fly instructors are usually good fisherman. But not always. I fished next to a guy who was a pro casting. Watched him roll cast like you wouldn't believe. Was truly beautiful. But, he was casting to a pocket that was too shallow for anything other then sculpin (and we were steelheading). I was catching, and he was casting. Can't presentate fly, world class casting won't help you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The idea behind the post was NOT that good casters make good fisherman. Rather, I was just amazed at the technical accomplishments necessary to pass the test.

For myself, I would like be skilled enough to pass such a test. Why? Because with all those tricks in my bag I should be able to cover more water and C&R more fish.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
Those europeans and their stupid metric system. They should include some of my best trick casts:
1. False spey pop cast- your back cast hits the water behind you because your lead eyed hareball is too heavy, but you load up the rod against the sunk fly and line and when it pops free you shoot 50 ft.
2. Lab bounce cast-- bounce your lead eyed hareball off the head of your labrador pup sitting on the bank behind you.
3. Slap cast -- overshoot your strip so the line slaps up against the rod and wraps around the back of your reel, then immediately hook up a fish.
4. Show proficiency is getting out of the your loops of clear sinking line that you just waded into.
5. Roll pile cast --roll cast 80 ft of line into a big pile 10 ft in front of you.
6. Demonstrate single overhand, double overhand, and figure eight wind knots.
7. Whack off cast -- hit your rod hard enough with your fly that you whack a guide off. Extra credit if you can break the tip off.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Really there should be a few casts to show that you are qualified but really only intended to impress an audience. This to me should be included in the test:

1. Fly retrieval cast--Bring the tip directly up in front of your right shoulder and with a flick of the wrist downwards it creates a loop that will bring a loop just to your right and your fly should land in your hand with practice.

2. Shadowcast--No actual point to it except when it is written in script. It then becomes the most popular cast in the history of flyfishing. Achieved by making and "S" while double hauling and speeding up your timing at the same time.

3. Full line cast--The only objective is to cast all of your line and watch your backing shoot through the guides. Most people who do this have not intention on hitting a target because of the lack of control that you have casting that amount.

4. Triple Haul--As if a double haul isn't enough.

5. Quadruple Haul--As if a doube haul isn't enough.

6. Hook the guide cast--Typically done when a guide rows right through a pod of rising trout you were casting to. Normally aimed right at his head and hopefully takes his hat right off.

7. Reverse loop cast--Looks cool to beginners. Also pointless for streamside applications.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I just hate to brag on these threads, but one time I was fishing next to this old jerk and his wife, an old hag, who was sitting some distance behind him up on the high water mark. I think she was knitting some sort of black shawl. Anyway, she was try to pick a big hair out of her mouth and she couldn't seem to locate it. Coming to the rescue, I was able with a 90ft (30 meters) backcast over my left shoulder ( I'm normally handed)and snatch the hair from her tongue with a no. 22 griffiths gnat. Now tell me those hot shots can beat that one! :LOVEIT BOBLAWLESS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.