Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'd rather be reading water
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out camping with the Family this weekend to Mora Campground near La Push. My wife says I have 4 hours to get away and chase some tail. I was thinking about heading up to the Sol Duc and swinging some streamers with my 6wt. I have been poking around on Google Maps looking for some spots but I am simply unfamiliar with the river and unfortunately don't have much time to explore. So far I have found some "holes" called Jude's Flat and the Lake Creek Hole. Can I park on 101 and walk in? Are there some roads nearby that offer access to swing some flies? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you wanna keep it private I would appreciate a PM.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Wherever you fish, start as early as possible. We are going to be having offshore flow, which means any fog will burn off early and it will be bright, sunny, and hot on the coast for a change! Predicted high temps here in Westport/Grayland area are for 89 F on Fri and Sat.
The last of the fog, for the coming duration of zippo cloud cover out here, should be clearing out of here by 11 am today. Sunny skies thru next tuesday. Hope I'm proven wrong...I was hoping for fog and drizzle to return ASAP.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
"My wife says I have 4 hours to get away and chase some tail."

Well a few hours Saturday evening at the Chinese restaurant should do it for ya'. Pretty agreeable wife you have there.

Sg

·
Registered
39 Posts
You will be camping a stones throw from good fishing! My suggestion is to head back towards 101 but not all the way and try all of the pull outs and the main line logging road south. I would also head towards the Quillayute right next to Mora camp ground. Go at high tide! Good luck and have fun! I look forward to hearing the report.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
4 hours isn't a lot of time if your driving and doing any hiking in to a spot. As others said, just fish the river right out of camp: there is a high bank at the campground, walk upriver from there, follow the trail and it should take you right over the beaver pond and you come out on good size gravel bar. Most guys plunk there, but you should have plenty of room to swing a fly. ALL of the fish come up on that side of the river, some right at your feet. Depending on the tide, don't overlook the top of the bar for fish backing out.

·
I'd rather be reading water
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hit up the Dickey off mina smith road at the dead end, bridge washout. always a few nice cutties around there, and some monster squawfish too if you're into that.
We went up to the Dickey on Saturday at the dead end on Mina Smith. The river was super low and warm. I didn't have a thermometer but the water temp seemed to be ~65F. Second cast landed a 13" cutthroat on a small streamer. The fish seemed lethargic but maybe it was my overpowering 6wt. Only stayed about 10 minutes as the river wasn't very exciting. Are there any anadromous fish that come up the Dickey?

Sunday afternoon we fished the Sol Duc just east of the Klahowya Campground around 2pm. Lots of smaller bows or steelhead parr taking the black and purple streamer, so I switched up to to a sz14 orange stimulator. Landed 2 13" bows. River was gin clear.

One thing I did notice was that not a single fish came from an area where shadows were on the river. All fish were hooked in full light. As I am, and will be, spending more time targeting Steelhead I would like to post the following question.

If fishing for steelhead on a sunny summer day where wind is blowing the trees (and shadows) should I focus on full light stretches of river?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have fished the Dickey several times and always see steelhead in it(although I have yet to pull one from that river). I have never fished it during the summer but in the Winter you run into locals a lot up there chuckin gear and a lot of them are poaching. Such a strange river.....it almost is like a swamp.

·
Team Umiak
412 Posts
Jacob..the locals used to refer to it as the Dickey desert. Flat as hell for miles and miles, no relief in site or landmarks..more than one elk and deer hunter has gotten lost in there. Probably worse now since I don't think that it's been logged for probably 50 or 60 years.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jacob..the locals used to refer to it as the Dickey desert. Flat as hell for miles and miles, no relief in site or landmarks..more than one elk and deer hunter has gotten lost in there.
I believe it....with all the other great rivers around there I only wander up the Dickey when everything else is blown out. Sometimes it is still fishable when nothing else is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.