Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Searuns? What are them critters? Never heard of 'em!:cool:

Those wouldn't be them silvery leapin' things around 10" to 13.5" long with big mouths that I ran into out on an estuary yesterday, dragging a white (New Age Chenille with natural Mallard Flank) #6 Knudsen Spider around in the fog over the mudflats near some eel grass beds, would they?
Managed to raise a few upstream in bright sunlight in the early afternoon on a hot orange #8 Reversed Spider.
Back down in the fog of the estuary, a few more came to nip at the White Knudsen Spider again.

Used my 6 wt 9' 9" Fenwick Iron Feather, a clear intermediate line, and 7' leader tapered to 4x. 3x would have been fine enough.

Fun, but a lot of work. Was out mudflat inspecting for over 8 hours. Must have paddled well over a dozen miles, ziggin' and zaggin around the estuary, and the last three back to the launch were against stiffening onshore winds and a surging incoming tide. One thought that kept screaming out at me was that "This wind sucks! The wind is my enemy!" You guys who just have to walk a beach up in the Sound, Canal, and around PT have it so-o-o-o easy!;)

Saw a raccoon out digging for clams on the edge of the mudflat as I returned. When it noticed me, it waddled off in a hurrry, pausing every now and then to look over its shoulder at me while I was paddling past, turning my head every now and then to look over my shoulder at it!

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
gotten into sea runs over the last 2 weeks on 3 of the local S rivers. broke out the 6wt and streamers and spent some time chasing them around the stilly today. little tough but we managed some fish.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't fish off the back catwalk. Food safety issues. Don't even think about sneaking about back there either, they put up security cameras all over the plant now.

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
Dude, why does everyone always insist on fishing that mudhole for them things. Give them a break, you catch one of them all you see is scars from all the times that it has gotten tangled up in line and you spend a good five minutes taking everyones snapped of rigs out of the fish. Not to mention most of the fish in that hole are oversized, unless it is another crowd of fish in the summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.