Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we think of a quilified WFF member to get involved with this? Seems like it would be nice to have our voices heard.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
October 12, 2010
WDFW seeks nominations for
steelhead/cutthroat advisory group
OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking nominations through Dec. 1 for membership on the Steelhead/Cutthroat Policy Advisory Group.
Up to 20 qualified individuals will be chosen to serve on the advisory group for 2011 and 2012. Those selected will provide guidance to WDFW on statewide issues related to management of steelhead and cutthroat. They also serve as an important communication link between WDFW and its constituents.
Advisors should have a broad interest in steelhead and/or cutthroat management and the ability to communicate effectively with large segments of the public.
The advisory group meets approximately four times each year, and advisors are asked to comment on written material throughout the year. Advisors serve for a term of two years and can be reappointed. Appointments become effective January 2011. Current members are encouraged to reapply.
Advisors do not receive direct compensation for their work.
Any group or individual can submit a nomination, and self-nominations are also accepted. Nominees do not need to be affiliated with an organized group. Nominations must include the following information:
The nominee's name, address and telephone number.
The nominee's affiliations, if any.
The name, address and telephone number of any organization submitting a nomination.
Experience, including the type of experience, and any species or areas of interest, as well as references.
Nominations must be received by Dec. 1. Nominations may be submitted to Bob Leland, WDFW steelhead program manager, by mail: 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA, 98501; or email at [email protected] . More information is available by contacting Leland, at (360) 902-2817.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there are several members here would would be great at that.
For sure. Get some voices in there that don't have a financial interest. Not that guide's opinions aren't worth being heard. I'm sure there are a few on there. But how badass would it be to have a passionate, committed steelheader who's only motive is the desire to see his kids and grandkids get to fish for steel. I hope we can get a few names up there.
Jason

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was going to do it when the last cohort of members entered a couple years ago, but I had to back out at the last minute when I found out the committee meets on a weekday during working hours (Monday if I remember right), and there wasn't any changing that schedule,

fb

and I think snell knots are just fine by the way!

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to do it when the last cohort of members entered a couple years ago, but I had to back out at the last minute when I found out the committee meets on a weekday during working hours (Monday if I remember right), and there wasn't any changing that schedule,

fb

and I think snell knots are just fine by the way!
Right on. Have you talked to anyone that has done it?

·
483 Posts
I think there are some members of that committee that belong to conservation related groups that may not necessarily post here. Never hurts to recommend someong that has the time to participate.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
A freind of mine was on the commitee for awhile. It takes time and commitment. Hard for a working guy to give the position the time it deserves.

How about smalma?

Curt, can you sit on a commitee of this type after working for WDFW so many years? I think your opinions are highly regarded here on the board and I believe they would also be of value to the commitee.

·
483 Posts
Smalma is a great idea and Kerry, thanks for the recommendation. I thought about it a while back but I am up to my eyeballs in other things, work, kids and trying to get on the water. I have asked someone I know if he wants to participate that knows the North Sound waters well.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I was going to ask O-Rad who he'd suggest. I thought like Kerry. Curt's expertise is evident in the depth and detail of his responses. There are others that just floor me when I read things they share with the forum. I have a great deal of respect for many of these members, as they know via my PM conversations with them. It seems someone with a background in fisheries, biology, land use, ecology or similar related experience would be a valuable asset to such a group.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to ask O-Rad who he'd suggest.
I didn't want to go putting anyone up for this, and make them feel pressured into doing it. Judging by the responses, it is a pretty big time commitment. I was hoping someone would see this, and be interested in doing it. Then a zillion of us could put our names on the nomination email. I am always in awe of the depth and width of the knowledge pool on WFF. I'd love to see our voices carried to WDFW by a resident Jedi.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
I'd highly recommend serving on this or any one of WDFW's Policy Advisory Group to anyone who can find the time. I have been on a different WDFW Policy Advisory Group for the last four years and it is a great experience. You will learn lots and hopefully get to impact policy, but at the very least, you can make your voice heard to WDFW and other user groups. Sure it is a committment and yes it cuts into my fishing time but for me, it is well worth the time it takes. As a matter of fact, I thought about applying for this one too but my main fishing buddy gave me grief for all ready having too few opportunities to fish; I didn't have the heart tell him that I also was going to try to get on the Upper Columbia Advisory Group too. Go for it if you can or are willing to make the time!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.