Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Big Burn, Teddy Roosevelt & The Fire That Saved America" by Timothy Egan

This book came highly recommended to me by a forum member and fishing partner while we were fishing the St. Joe River. It is a historical account of a huge forest fire that swept through that area back in 1910. It delves heavily into the beginnings of the conservation movement, creation of the forest service and preservation of public lands. After reading this book you will realize how damn lucky we are to have any wild places left to fish at all. Had it not been for guys like Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot the West would have been completely logged off and mined to destruction, including our national forests and probably national parks. Highly recommended!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should check out a book called Cadilac Desert. All about water rights. Will put a different spin on some of the things Roosevelt and Pinchot were up to. Do agree with you on Big Burn...great book. Roosevelt and Pinchot did some great things for us outdoor folks.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
I just finished it a month or so ago. It's an outstanding read that offers historic parallels into the influence that Big Money has in Washington DC over environmental concerns to this day.

K

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Roosvelt is and will always be the man. Thanks for the recommendation I am always on the look out for a new read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.