Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to walk a lot of miles and drink a lot of water so I have been I am looking to upgrade to a zipper this winter. I did a search and couldn't find any topics on the Redingtion Sonic Pro HDZ, is anyone on this form using them, thoughts, problems, concerns? I know the G4Z has very thick material on the lowers with is awesome, but they are also more expensive .....by 300$ and Simms has changed their warranty structure a bit.
I would love to hear any real world and long term wear feedback. Thanks guys!
Outerwear Sleeve Waist Gesture Denim

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I've been using the Redington sonic pro zip front waders for a few seasons now. The first set leaked at the bottom of the zipper right out of the box, so I sent them to Redington, and they sent me a replacement set the next day. Going about 4 seasons now, I think.

I haven't tried Simms waders yet. They get rave reviews, but I read divided reports about Simms service when things go wrong. Some report excellent warranty service, and nearly half report unsatisfactory and or expensive warranty service. I've yet to hear one negative report on Redington service, and have had excellent experience myself, so I won't be buying Simms waders until I acquire some compelling evidence. I'm not anti-Simms; I have 2 sets of Simms wading boots and 2 Simms rain jackets, the oldest being 13 years old.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Four seasons on my Redington zip fronts with no failures and no complaints.
The belt that comes with them is really wide though and my wading staff "sheath" won't slide on to it. That's a minor item and an easy fix.
I like them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am on my second set of the Redington's. The first set was the older version, the zipper broke from leaning over the side of a boat reaching to grab a fly box. I took them up to Redington, a guy came out, looked at them, took them into the back office and came back with a box with the newest version. No extra money no questions asked.

I've seen the Simms, and for sure they are a superior product at twice the cost. And like Salmo, I checked their customer service and it seems pretty hit or miss.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
I wear the regular non zip Sonic Pros.
Just blew out the current pair after four years and about 500 days use with 99% of that being saltwater.
I paid $199.00 for them and have no complains on how long they lasted.
Have always had good customer service from Redington when needed. Same with Simms but haven’t used their customer service for years.

I’d highly suggest trying both on.
The last pair of Simms I tried on had a much tighter (slimmer) fit then the Redingtons.
I find everything they make to be a run a bit small and tighter fitting.
I personally like a bit looser fit on shirts, waders, jackets etc.
Also, in the bigger sizes Simms only go up to size 12-13 on the booties, at least the last time I looked.
I wear a size 14 shoe and the Redingtons fit fine.
My last pair of Simms cost me an extra $75.00 to have bigger booties put on.
Something to think about if you have big dogs....
SF

Reactions: Buzzy

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the opinions and experiences! Stone fish I'm a slight build and take a medium so no big foot here. I love simms boots, they have many days and still going strong, I just got one pair resoled, and they should go for many more miles. I am leaning toward the Redington, I think if they had the exact same warranty I would spring for the Simms, I do like a slim fit and built in the USA but at almost twice the cost its a little hard to justify with an un-certain warranty future, then again Redington could change their policy so who knows...

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions and experiences! Stone fish I'm a slight build and take a medium so no big foot here. I love simms boots, they have many days and still going strong, I just got one pair resoled, and they should go for many more miles. I am leaning toward the Redington, I think if they had the exact same warranty I would spring for the Simms, I do like a slim fit and built in the USA but at almost twice the cost its a little hard to justify with an un-certain warranty future, then again Redington could change their policy so who knows...
if you go with Redington make sure you keep your receipt mine started leaking just behind the knee both legs 2yrs old no receipt no repair

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just ordered a pair of LL Bean Kennebec waders w/ zipper. Looking at the picture in the original post they appear identical to the Simms. Bean had a 25% off sale so the waders were 249. My size was on back order to ship 2/1, but I really don't care about the delay. The big thing with Bean is their warranty as they will take back no questions asked.
For a few years, maybe 10 years ago or so, their waders were of awful quality, but since then (and the complaints/frequent returns) they have changed suppliers and their waders are quite good. My present pair is about 6 years old and I had to do one small glue up repair on a booty heel. I use them probably 75 times per year here in New England where wading can be really hard due to rocky conditions.

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
i got the newest patagiona gallegos waders (non zip im cheap and the quick conversion works) and i really love them for the winter. They are a bit heavy for late spring and early fall type days where its cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon, but for winter they rock.

my favorite feature is two pockets near your armpit area on the inside. i keep my thermos in the left one and extra dry gloves in the right one. easy to access, barely notice the weight. great great pockets.

the 3d wool boot liner is also a nice winter touch. they have been a great wader for ice off float tubing.

is there a reason you are not considering them?

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
I've never sent in a receipt and have had multiple warranty replacements...throw them in the box, fill out the form, and they charge your cc 40 bucks.
Not what they told me the woman on the end of the phone call said they would not repair or replace w/o a receipt never offer to fix them for $40 I told them to pitch them did not want to pay for the return.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ordered a pair of LL Bean Kennebec waders w/ zipper. Looking at the picture in the original post they appear identical to the Simms. Bean had a 25% off sale so the waders were 249. My size was on back order to ship 2/1, but I really don't care about the delay. The big thing with Bean is their warranty as they will take back no questions asked.
For a few years, maybe 10 years ago or so, their waders were of awful quality, but since then (and the complaints/frequent returns) they have changed suppliers and their waders are quite good. My present pair is about 6 years old and I had to do one small glue up repair on a booty heel. I use them probably 75 times per year here in New England where wading can be really hard due to rocky conditions.
I hadn't though of them, I grew up in Maine so I do have a soft spot for L.L.Bean, and just got some XC ski boots from them in the same sale you mentioned. 6 years is solid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.