Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a ride out to the Yakima with a friend today. He is one of those super buggy jedi's that speaks Latin and is a super fishy mo-fo. I've never been there, so I was pretty stoked to fish what I've heard is some of the best trout water in WA. 6 hours in the car, there was no hatch, it was windy as hell, and I got skunked. Now before you say "that's fishing", I have a partial excuse for the skunking. I broke my rod tip :beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead: So I said fuck today.
A lot.

·
1,411 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Breaking a rod tip always messes up what could've been a good day of fishing.

·
Addicted to flyfishing
481 Posts
I'm Fu&*ing sorry to hear that Jason, I might have jinxed you after telling you about my rod tip woes. Shoot me a call and we'll see what we can do this next week.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Been there, done that! (more than once) After the first time (at the start of a 2 week trip to Montana) I have never gone fishing without at least 2 rods and often as many as 6. A hard lesson to learn! Rick

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Always carry a spare rod. I recommend just going to Ebay and searching for a cheap used 5-7 piece rod that you can pack in your vest/pack. They go for $50-80 normally, which is a very cheap insurance policy. Mine is in my fishing pack 100% of the time.

Then if you break a rod you just say "crap" and keep fishing.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A spare rod is now on my to do list. I was going to get a 2 hander with my tax return, but this is going to eat into the budget for it. I have an 8 wt and I have to prioritize. I need a 5wt more than I do a spey.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
had a broken rod tip with no back up all the way down on the EFL. i wasnt very happy either.

·
dUMB aRKiE
93 Posts
How bout a extra tip top and a short piece of hot melt glue, bout a 1.99 at your wally world, and you can carry it in your vest pocket !

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Piss poor planning, when you don't have a second rod you have to plan breaking the rod tip for on the way home. Everyone should know that. Iisn't it funny how it always happens the other way around. Funny yeah really a bad day sorry guy.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Even if it's over/under weight.
Right, you don't need to be precise about a spare rod. Mine is an old but very nice glass Cortland, 7'0", 5-piece, and listed as 5/6 wt. I use it as a spare for all my 3-7 wt rods and it works fine. One thing to note though is that glass rods can generally handle double the line weight range of graphite.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Jason,

It is always a good idea to have two rods strung for the Yak anyway. One could be set up for streamers and the other for nymphing under a float or one for a dry fly and the other for nymphing. You want your best rod for dry fly; nymphing or pitching streamers doesn't require as much finesse.

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.