Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You should have been here yesterday...
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harstine Island in front of our place

Tribal beach seining opened here on Friday. Friday: 0 salmon; Saturday: 7 silvers; Sunday: 40 salmon - 33 silvers,(plus 1 rezzie) and 7 chums. Silvers were mostly fat stocky fish, with the largest going exactly 17 lbs - a big fish anytime, but especially this early in September. And that's quite of few chums for this early. So they are 'here'...

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
Use just the standard stuff for beaches...
sink tip or intermediate line, clousers (this time
of year I like white and pink combos), look for
moving water, and for me low light on a big incoming
tide is the ticket. Leland would also add top water
poppers to the equation.

Dave

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
GHFF, if it was a 7 pounder, don't you think that one is here all the time? I think the seining results with a 17 pound fish is a good thing. Pretty sure that there are not any resident coho that size.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
A resident Coho can get big and 17lbs may not be common but entirely possible if it found enough food to grow to that size. In years past when I fished the Sound a lot in the summer I have landed resident fish in excess of 10 lbs in early August. I am not saying this was a common event but happened frequently enough to know that some of the resident fish can put on the weight.

Dave

·
Registered
520 Posts
In some years, we used to catch ocean silvers in July long before the net pen program ramped up. And they were almost certainly migratory fish because they showed up rather suddenly in pretty good numbers. Lots of 7-12 lb fish. So I don't think early fish necessarily means resident fish. Those fish tended to come in every 3rd year as I recall. Just some of the run timing diversity we have lost over the years.

I fished Pickering pretty hard last weekend. Didn't see anything until I pulled the boat out and put my gear away, then one jumped right off the end of the dock. But I wouldn't say they are there in good numbers yet. Given the poor coho fishing everywhere else, it looks like a lean year. I'll be giving it another shot this weekend.

·
Native Trout Hunter
739 Posts
GHFF, if it was a 7 pounder, don't you think that one is here all the time? I think the seining results with a 17 pound fish is a good thing. Pretty sure that there are not any resident coho that size.
It is possible that this fish was a resident, but I would say unlikely. I am on the beach a lot and each year this particular beach has migratory coho showing at the same basic time. In my experience most of the residents that I have been seeing are running about 3-5lb right now with 3lb or 4lb being the most predominant. I was simply indicating that coho are moving into the south sound and that is a good thing, not looking to start are resident vs. migratory fish debate.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You are right - no need to debate an unanswerable question. Not that anyone here would do that...

By the way - I saw 3 orcas cruise by Saturday AM while I was out fishing in the boat. They went under the Harstine Bridge and probably a dozen people over at the ramp never even noticed them. Big male, big female, one kid. Might have had something to do with my poor fishing success. Made the trip worthwhile though.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I well remember those every third year early Coho.

How many systems they were in I don't know. The Puyallup River had the early arriving third year fish introduced quite a few years ago and as far as I know they are still viable.

Dave

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Fished South sound this past weekend against the gear guys in an yearly derby we take part in.
Sad to say we did not do well. Only saw one fish all day that one being chased by a seal who chased the fish to the kayak. Lucky only 4 fish total were caught by the 25 or so gear guys we where competing against so while Amie and I in our kayaks and fly rods were beat they had the two of us out numbered in their boats and down riggers so we did not feel two bad and gladly lost our entry fee of $10 per person.
Hope we can make a better show next year.
Been a bad year for Coho this year so far with most of the guys in the derby saying they had caught few fish this year.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was lucky enough to see a good number of large coho put on a show yesterday in the south sound. They were milling about waiting to push up a local stream. Unfortunately I had a briefcase with me rather than a rod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.