Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has a line on smaller popper type heads for tying 6-10 size dry flies (surface streamers?)? Looking for something more subtle than the big bass pop, that will wake, but slurp when stripped? I'm lazy, don't want to shave the larger saltwater types I'm finding around.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Source for smaller "popper" heads?

The Edgewater Dink Component popper heads (the one that Leland Miyawaki uses for his saltwater cutthroat/salmon popper pattern) are available in the Seattle area at Kaufmann's, Avid Angler and, soon, at Patrick's. In Tacoma you can find them at Morning Hatch. The smallest size (#6) is about 1/2 inch long and 3/8 inch in diameter, they come in white yellow and chartreuse. That's the smallest one I know of.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I saw an alternative way of tying "poppers" at the new Pacific Fly Company shop in Des Moines this week. They were selling a pattern called a "Puget Sound Slider" with a head consisting of two strips of foam tied in at the eye on each side of the hook & then pulled back about 1/4" & tied down to form a foam head. They left 1/4" stubs of foam on each side. The rest of the fly was a standard streamer - pearl braid for the body and bucktail/crystal flsh for the wing. They had three different colors. I bought tying materials from them & a sample pattern, and tied a few up. We'll see how they work.

This might be a good way to create smaller sized foam heads.

Tom

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can get nice tapered cork stoppers at the hardware store in every size imaginable, from 1/8" diameter on up.

For waking, gurgling action, the foam strips folded and tied over the eye (think exagerated Chernobyl ant) work great.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the info gents. I stopped by Patrick's this afternoon and chatted with Jimmy a bit. They didn't have the Edgewater kit, but I did hear that Leyland will have his popper available soon at the shop (and maybe even avail himself to those seeking his sage advice ). :thumb

I've thought about the foam strips, I bet they work fine, I just don't find them as pleasing the the eye as the poppers. Not that the fish would care. I'll try both methods. I had a couple uses in mind, one a personal project fishery I'm working on, the other for arriving Pinks in the estuary and lower rivers. Anyone had luck for Pinks on the surface?

Thanks again for the pointers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.