Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the SF Snoqualmie fish are taking now?

A buddy and I hit the SF on Saturday and through just about everything but the kitchen sink at them. We did see about 5-6 lunkers in a hole, but try as we could, not a nymph, fly, nor streamer could rouse the interest of this flock of submarines.:dunno

The water was high, clear, and cold. I can personally vouch for the third, as I did a little involuntary swimming practice.

Despite the close encounter with the water, I'd rather be spending my time on (or in as the case may be) the river.:thumb

Any other foibles happen on the weekend?

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Bruce - are you sure those lunkers weren't whitefish? Don't know of too many lunker trout in the south fork - unless you consider 12 to 14ichers lunkers - and there are precious few of those.

Try a dry with a dropper. Start with small attractor patterns until you see any sporadic hatches that may trigger the trout to feed. Or, if you start getting short strikes that is another time to start changing up until you find what they want. But honestly this time of year is just tough. Keep an eye on the flows - this warming trend could cause the run-off to get bad this week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could have been whitefish. They were sitting in a ~8' pool. I only knew they were fish because logs and rocks don't move like that.:dunno

My buddy that came with me is a wildlife biologist. I guess I should have brought my fisheries friends. I say one or two bugs that looked like mayflies, and that river bed was teeming with caddis nymphs. If anyone wants to see good examples to tie to, go out now.

I talked with a kayaker claiming to be a local said the trout were only hitting on #14 caddis. Well, they didn't like mine, but judging by how packed the river bed was with nymphs, there are going to be some incredible hatches before too long. :thumb

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are there whitefish above the falls on the S Fork?

There are a few Rainbows a bit bigger than what you're talking about, but few and far between.

Also, if you really want to be assured of catching fish on the S Fork in numbers, my advice is to fish it in the evening. :thumb

·
Registered
293 Posts
I fish the South Fork alot and there are some really huge pods of suckers in the deeper slower water down from N Bend. I seen some that must go 4-5 pounds. Definitely not whitefish or trout though, its a little hard to tell them apart but as a kid I used to bait fish for them :). Usually if you can see a profile they have a darker lateral line than a trout and a darker back. As far as I know you can't catch them on a fly, although it might be fun to try....

·
Registered
790 Posts
On Monday I went out and had decent success. I tried an elk hair caddis with a hare's ear dropper but wasn't having any luck. I tried a number of different dries but gave up and went to 2 nymphs under a strike indicator. I used a hare's ear with a bead head prince dropper. I caught 9 fish all less than 11". All were on the prince nymph (size 14). I used the strike indicator to help me judge the currents in the back eddies. Give it a shot. Hope it helps.

Pete

·
Registered
293 Posts
Last year I was able to fool some larger (12"16")South Fork 'bows by fishing a bead head through the foam line in some of the deeper back eddies. I just cast on top of the foam and let the beadhead sink through. I just left it suspended maybe 6 inches under the mat and waited for a twitch. Dunno why it worked except that the bigger fish are so far under cover and so shy that they're really tough to get any other way.....

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Well the trout don't hit Caddis flies,or humpies,or royal coachmans or droppers or any thing that we threw at them. It's starting to make a believer out of me on the S/F above exit 38. I've seen a few up there but never caught any. I think that I will cross that one off my list until later in the year or maybe never again. Sure is a long drive for nothing. But all I wasted was gas. Time is never wasted.

Jim

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Well, at least it was better than working!! :beer1 Not a bad way to spend the day!! Maybe we'll have to try one of the other forks next time, or try down by North Bend. Definitely nice scenery, which almost makes up for it... okay not really.

I did get a nice base tan though! :thumb

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.