Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Whammo!
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I want to thank everyone for all the great information that this forum provides. I have noticed quite a few of us love fishing the South Fork of the Snoqualmie, but there has been little discussion about the North Fork. Just moving to North Bend recently I have recently I have fished the North Fork quite a bit and have begun to enjoy it more than the South Fork. I wanted to get any opinions about the pro's and con's of each river and if your fly selection/techniques are different when fishing NF vs SF. Thanks and I look forward to all your opinions!!

Mike
:BIGSMILE

·
Registered
83 Posts
i dont know much about the s. fork, but the beautiful little trout on the n. fork seem to love dries. i have used several standard caddis and attractor patterns and had a ball with a 3 weight.i grew up in the mountains of tennessee where all we fished were streams of this size so i feel right at home. yes they are small but the higher you go on the river the better the fishing, in my opinion. i fish upstream and it seems like there is a little guy in every pocket. i havent had a lot of luck in the deap slow water and i would like to hear if others have. jer

·
Registered
51 Posts
The S. Fork is nice and I've fished it more this year than I have the N. Fork. However, I prefer the N. Fork. I like the relatively uncrowded conditions (i.e., requires a Weyerhauser permit) and, IMO, the fishing's better. I only wish I had a lighter rod than my 5wt.

I've not had any problems w/ the deeper pools on the N. Fork. I usually dead-drift a bead-head prince or GRHE, if I can't get fish to rise to an emerger.

I've not had much luck with high-riding dries, tho'. Since I tie my own flies (and I'm a rank beginner), I suspect that the silhouette they present is probably not quite right. Maybe I'll try some store-bought flies one of these days.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pretty much agree. For the So. fork, I have had good sucess up in the Twin Falls SP area. Park in lot for the hiking trail to falls, and wade in there, cross and move upstream working the seams and pockets with dries or soft hackles (to imitate caddis). This is about a 1/4 mile stretch at most, but for a few hrs. of afternoon fly-fishing it is perfect.
Most fish are small (~ 6-8") but occasional 10"-12" will be had.
Some large mayflies up there always hatch just before sunset on warm days (March Browns- anyone know?) This is a nice scenic feel similar to some upper stretches of the N. Fork (like the part by Lennox Crk. way up on USFS land past the clearcuts of the treefarm).

Oh, one more thing; avoid Twin Falls on weekends, especially holiday weekends like the plauge!! Crowds, swimmers, splashers, etc.
Weekday afternoons after work are good time, around 6 to 9pm.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
I fish both rivers about the same. Royal Wolffs and Royal Humpies are great atractor patterns (#12-14). Sometimes I'll add a dropper of sime kind - but most strikes come on the dry when I do that anyway, so I don't try that often. Other standbys are a parachute adams and elk hair caddis. Small black wooly buggers always find some fish for me as well. I don't do a lot of nymphing, but have taken an iterest lately because I've only had time in the mornings to fish (not using drys in the evening seems crazy to me...).

Comparison in my opinion:

Differences:
NF - Very limitted access; generally smaller fish (5 to 10 inches avg); quiet; very natural and scenic

SF - Plenty of easy access; sllightly bigger fish (6 to 11 inches avg); expect plenty of road noise; lower river has an 'engineered' feel, but still a beautiful stream; more recreationists (kayakers, inner tubers, etc)

Similarities:
Perfect small river \ large stream fly fishing water; Beautiful scenery; easy wading; sometime hard work for a few small fish; other times you can't keep them off your dry fly...

I look at it like this - If I have time, I'll fish the NF. If I just have a few hours, I hit the SF...

Oh, and you don't need the Weyerhouser permit to access the upper reaches of the NF - it just helps you access a few more spots from you car that you'd otherwise have to hike to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.