Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my first experience looking for cutties (wading with Bob Triggs) around Port Townsend and Marrowstone Island. Not very successful, but a good time. Can anyone suggest some good spots in the south sound area? I live in Olympia right on Budd Inlet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I live on the Deschutes outside Rainier, if you live here, why on earth would you go anywhere else! Terry Rudnick once showed me his favorite cutt spot just north of the old Hardell mill...any beach with even a trickle of fresh water inlet will have cutts. Fish one hour either side of the high tide otherwise you're wasting your time. Talk to Greg at Streamside Angler in Tumwater, he'll set you up. Tell him "Dave in Rainier" sent you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dave. I do fish the Deschutes, but as someone relatively new to flyfishing I am exploring different ways to do things. By the way, I have been putting in the Deschutes near the Vail cutoff road, hiking across the wooden bridge and up to the power lines. Any other suggestions?

·
Banned
177 Posts
I would head for the southern reaches of Hood Canal. There is wading access to a lot of searun habitat. Look near creeks and rivers, first, or any place where water enters the Canal.

If you have a boat, then I'd do a lot of fishing in your area-- again, head for freshwater. Or look for bays that have narrow mouths-- cutts will congregate at those spots to suck in bait blown out on a falling tide. With a boat, you have so much better access than by wading-- even if it's a small boat. Another nice thing about a boat is that you can cruise along enjoying the scenery and spot the volunteers-- jumping or rising searun-- that will clue you in to location. Pay attention to visible clues beyond jumping fish-- look for rises, bait jumping, swirls and so on.

Good luck,

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.