Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On July 31st, I leave for Southeast Alaska for 11 days. The trip is going to take me from Juneau to Wrangell to Petersburg to Sitka and back to Juneau. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience fishing in any of these areas at this time of year. Any advice on fishing locations, flies, species, and techniques is greatly appreciated! I'm especially looking for a place around Juneau to fish as I have a full day when I arrive to kill...

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
13 Posts
I grew up commercial fishing in South East and Bristol Bay and was lucky enough to through numerous flies all over both regions. My go to pattern for sockeye and coho in fresh water has always been the egg-sucking leech. I usually fished it on a floating line with a 9-12 foot leader.

For Kings in fresh or salt I fished as close to dark as possible, with a type II or III sinking line with big hairy bunny streamers, weighted or unweighted. While commercial fishing I noticed that we used to catch a lot of kings at night and close to the bottom. We were gillnetting and the night kings were usually so tangled up that we had to cut the net to get them out, where as during the day if we were even lucky to catch a king they would simply roll right out of the net. I noticed then especially in the Naknek system and around Kodiak.

Good Luck

He who knows much, forgives much

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was born in Sitka and spent nearly every summer from June to August up there while growing up. I can't tell you to much about the other towns you will be visiting, but a lot of what I can say about Sitka will probably hold true for the other towns.

By the beginning of August, there should be plenty of pinks in and around Sitka. Unfortunately, the other salmon species will not show up for a while longer. Sitka does not have extraordinary trout fisheries like up north. If that is your game, head southeast out of town on Sawmill Creek Blvd. until you get to the old pulp mill. Take a left up Blue Lake Rd. and you will start passing camp grounds that you can access Sawmill Creek from. It does have a fair number of bows that, from what the locals say, get washed through the Blue Lake dam. I have had plenty of fun days catching these guys on humpys and wulffs. For scenery, the creek can't be beat. There are also quite a few dollies in the creeks and rivers following the salmon. Check with the regs first because a lot of them get closed down for all fishing once salmon arrive.

As for the humpies, that is where I cut my eye teeth on fly fishing and tying, so to say. The nice thing and the bad thing about Sitka is there is basically one main road that stretches north and south, with a dead end on both ends. It's pretty hard to get lost. For the best humpy fishing in town, head due north out of town on Halibut Point Rd. After 7-8 miles, you'll pass the ferry terminal on your left. Keep driving and you will start rounding a little bay with a boat launch and dock in it. Pull left off the road at the big parking lot. Walk straight towards the beach and climb out on the big rock. There will be more pink salmon than you will know what to do with. Flies are dead simple. Keep em fairly small, probably an 8 or 10. A tuft of hot pink marabou for the wing and a hot pink chenille or estaz body. If you use chenille, throw some krystal flash on the wing. Throw on a 5 or 6 weight floating line and a 8 foot leader. Enjoy. Take a look around you at all the snaggers, which by the way is amazingly legal up there. Revel in the fact that you are catching 5 fish to their 1. The fish bite very softly so be ready. Have fun.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
I fished Price of Wales Island the last week in July last summer. We fished in the salt water from small boats before the cresting tide near the mouth of a small river for silvers using clousers and deceivers.

Inland creeks and rivers below falls were also productive for silvers and sockeye, who would hit anything that was pink colored.

My favorite time was fishing the inlet to a large lake (Luck Lake) for dollies with my 4wt. The dollies would hit just about any pattern you used, but a sparsely-tied streamer on a size 10 6X hook with a tinsel body and red or pink hair wing would send 'em into fits. One afternoon my partner and I released over 100, some up to 18 inches, from this little creek.

I suspect the same patterns and strategy will work well just about anywhere else in SE Alaska.

Fortuna

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't stopped in to see you in a while Aaron, I'll try and swing by next Thursday and say hi! Off in the morning for somewhere, haven't figured out where yet, think I'll get in the car, start heading towards Fall City, and flip a coin. Heads its the Bitterroot and Rock Creek, tails its the Metolius/Fall River/Headwaters Deschutes. If anyone is at either of those two spots over the weekend, and you see a

Thanks for all the info guys, that should get me started! Coopduck: thanks for the spots, I'll check them out while I'm in Sitka and let you know how I go!

Anyone know of any spots in or very close to Juneau? The second day in Juneau I'll be staying at Mendenhall Lake, which I hear has cutties and dollies, but I'd like to find a salmon spot to fish the day before. I have a day there to kill when I first arrive and wanna rip some lips :thumb

worldanglr

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, well, I leave in four days, so I guess I better start tying some flies, huh? Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be tying? I tied up a half-a-dozen black egg sucking leeches last night, big lead eyes on a size 2 salmon hook... Pinks should be in so I'll be tying three dozen or so "pink" flies (pink marabou, silver tinsel body). Any other suggestions? Hook size, color, etc?

worldanglr

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I've fished for silvers up north, I always did really well on chartruse flies. I don't know if the silvers will be in or not, but chartruse seemed to be the ticket for the silvers on the rivers on the Kenai peninsula.

- Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.