Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed down to LA for a few days for a seminar with Landmark Education and scheduled myself to go down a day early to hit the beach for some fly fishing in the surf.

There is some good ,yet limited information on the web about surf perch fishing there and it looks like the the middle the California Halibat fishing season.
I am wondering if anyone here has actual done any fly fishing there in the surf ?

I am going to try from the Manahattan Beach peir north to the power plant, as I am somewhat familiar with that area.

Anyone have any experience actually fishing there??
I am looking for recommendations on what gear weight to bring ,
flies to use,
where to fish,
what to look for,
and any other words of wisdom about surf fishing there?

I was there in January and saw all kinds of fish caught from the peir it self using gear,
including a 5 year old kid using the toy rod he got for Christmas and a herring jig bringing up 4 pearch at a time on his rig over and over again.

I have tied a bunch of small bait fish, shrimp, and Double Reverse Spider patterns

Please let me know

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Kelvin, you got to admit you set him up so you got it. Ken Hanley wrote the book onit so search his info out. I searched the other day just for 'Ken Hanley salt water fly patterns and got quite a bit of info. So try his other info too. Have fun let us know how you do. I could give you some flies he listed for north of malibou to Santa Barabra if you'd lilke them.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Mumbles I already picked one of those up
only I got the Bikini Barbie addition
I am going to use it for trolling
I fixed up the details you left out. Trolling? Is that what they call it these days?
Serioulsly though, have a great trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kelvin,

I live in LA and fish that stretch pretty often.

Gear:

For perch, yellowfin croaker and halibut, a six weight with a sinking head will be just right. The same rod or a five with a full intermediate will be perfect if you elect to try sight-fishing for corbina.

Flies for perch and Halis: olive/white, chart/white, orange, and red clousers size 2-4 will do the trick. Corbina will eat those same flies, but here is a link to a great corb fly tied by a great guy who lives up the coast:

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniques/fly-tying-bench/corbina-crusher-1000059589.html

Leaders don't need to be too fancy. Many guys fish 9 feet of 6 or 8lb mono or floro. I like 9 feet or a little less going 30/20/15/6 or 8. The sand tears up the last 2 steps and its easy to retie.

Where to fish:

Try to find troughs, channels, rips, off-color water or even a small depression to locate the fish. If you are looking to sight-fish the corbina, just watch the edges of the troughs and spaces between the depressions to find the fish moving along or between them. The water has been warming which means that there will be sandcrab beds visible. You can see these beds when waves recede. The sand will look as if it pebbled or rough. That is where the crabs will be. You can watch the sandpipers if you can't see the crab beds yourself. Corbina will swim in ankle deep water to feed on the sandcrabs. If you see this, stay up on the dry sand and see if you can get a corb to eat! Corbs are very spooky, so good luck.

The Southbay beaches are very busy now that the weather is warming up and school is out. Plan to fish early. Afternoons are usually blown out.

PM me and let me know when you are planning to come down, and I'll see if I or one of my friends can put you closer to the fish.

I would post a couple sites that might help you further, but I don't know the site policy regarding links. Let me know if you want them via PM.

You guys have a fine site here.

Roland

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Welcome Roland. What a hell of an informative introduction. You should find yourself among friends should you head up the coast sometime.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Roland
Here my first attempt at the Surfin’ Merkin
I have added it to the other patterns I have twisted up for the trip.
Can you tell I am looking forward to going?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was allot of fun
It was like body surfing with a fly rod in your hand
The water was warm, the waves big, and the fish small

Got a couple on my mole crab pattern

The beach filled up fast and casting between surfers was an added challenge
Was a blast to know there is surf fishing right there in LA

There has to be some tricks to casting in that pounding surf

Thanks to all of you who had tips for me

I can't wait to try this again next time I am down there

was a blast to know there is surf fishing right there in LA

there has to be some tricks to casting in that pounding surf

thanks to all of you who had tips for me

I can't wait to try this again next time I am down there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.