Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Native Trout Fan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to go to Spain for a couple of months for work....I was wondering if anyone here might have some advice for the south of Spain. Particularly around a naval station that rhymes with "Shmota". I know there are a few retired navy people on here so thought it might be worth a shot! Mostly just wondering what is in the area. Wost case scenario I will throw streamers until something gets mad and bites, but it never hurts to know what out there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should be able to deduce from my user name that I have a strong connection to Rota Spain. did not catch many fish but got a good wife for there. Fishing is not very good in the immediate area. Nearer to Gibraltar there is a small town (old hippie commune too) called Castellar. There is a lake there that I used to catch bass on a fly rod back in the 70's. Have not fished there sine the late 80's. Salt water fishing is limited as well. My recommendation is to focus on the food, wine and women. I can sterr you to some good local spots. If your going in April- May go to a spring feria!

·
Native Trout Fan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have to check out the Bass fishing, I have been in the UK for the past couple years and havent seen a Bass in a while....... Thank you for the information !

·
Stickin' pigs.
126 Posts
Kosel,

Any good fishing near Mildenhall? Is it a pain to get a license there? I stop through there sometimes and have always wanted to bust out the rod. I have never had the chance at Rota either but sounds like it wouldn't be that convenient for me.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I spent six years enjoying a lot of activities near Rota Spain. I did fish, but chartered boats from the local fishing piers and went out for fish as opposed to fishing for them along the beaches. I was young, stupid and not as drawn to the water as I was drawn to the food, drink, friends and ladies. The local fishermen will put you on fish, we caught a lot of fish found in the local markets. Not even sure what most of them are in English, but it was fun on a rare occasion to go after them. Never had the idea of fly fishing for them though. The fish market in El Puerto de Santa Maria gets lots of fresh fish from local boats. I'd look there for some options. Enjoy your trip.

·
Happy to be home in the NW
139 Posts
Not familiar with the Rota area. Only visited Cadiz and the beaches of the Atlantic coast. Lived in Guadiaro and fished the mouth of the Guadiaro River. Caught some kind of fish that apparently all the locals were going for. A kid that worked at Valderrama with me was dumbfounded and upset that I let them all go. This was after he laughed at me and told me I wouldn't catch anything with my fly rod. Walking the river down to the Mediterranean I would always see schools of carp. Never got around to trying to target them as I had no clue about fishing carp at the time. Enjoy living there. All of Andulacia is beautiful. As MJGROTA mentioned, Castellar is a fun place with one of the best ferias around. Cool castle overlooking a large (for the area) lake. Make sure to take a trip to Rhonda for a bull fight. This is the town where bull fighting was started. A river cuts its way right through town creating a 300 foot gorge. Never fished it, but thought about it while eating dinner on the edge of the cliff.

·
BigDog
3,554 Posts
I traveled through Andalucia several years ago and visited a beautiful national park in the Sierra de Cazorla, which includes the headwaters of the Rio Guadalquivir. The river in that area is a beautiful trout stream. I didn't do any fishing, but I sure wished I had my fly rod. This is north and east of Granada. If you are going to go to the south of Spain, you really have to visit the Alhambra in Granada, then, since you are most of the way to Cazorla, find a B&B and spend a couple of days exploring the trout streams in the area. My travel guide to Andalucia refers one to the Spanish Fishing Federation for more information (but doesn't give a web address).

Dick

·
Native Trout Fan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input! I am bringing a 9wt so if I can get into some carp in the rivers perfect, if not I'll just wing it. Texanflyfisher, there is a lot of fishing in the Mildenhall area. Not a lot of trout fishing, but the river Lark has the only wild brown trout in Suffolk. The rod license is really easy to get, if your fishing for a day its something like 3 GBP and you can get it from any British post office or online. The problem is most bodies of water are leased to an angling club, and its tough to find out what belongs to who. In Mildenhall though most of the water belong to Lark Angling and Preservation Society (I am lucky enough to be a member) we have something like 8 miles of river,which is a lot for over here. It is mostly "coarse" water with Pike,Chub,Eurasian perch and Bream. The upper section is fly fishing only for a mix of stocked and wild trout,its tough fishing but a lot of fun. All of the coarse fish take flies as well! Next time you are going to be out here drop me a line and I will try and get you out on the club water!

·
Registered
403 Posts
The licencing system is built around the locals and a bit tricky if you don't speak Spanish but not impossible. Ensure you have a licence before fishing as they can put you in the klink if you don't have one! Local bars and tackle shops are first port of call. Ifyou want a Spanish Forum for advice then look at Con Mosca - nice people but again you need to speak Spanish.

Best of luck and have a good stay.

:thumb:

·
Registered
972 Posts
James Prosek has a book (I have it at home but can't remember the title - "Trout of the World?") that does provide some high level info on some rivers containing trout in Spain. I'm pretty sure most of the waters are in N Spain (close to or in the Pyrenees) but that book might be worth a read for you. It is a really cool book in its own right.....

·
Honorary Member
10,205 Posts
Kosel,

Any good fishing near Mildenhall? Is it a pain to get a license there? I stop through there sometimes and have always wanted to bust out the rod. I have never had the chance at Rota either but sounds like it wouldn't be that convenient for me.
it is a pain in the ass to get a fishing license in england. yes there is fishing around mildenhall but generally you need to belong to fishing clubs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Spent a couple of the best years of my life in that place. Wasn't into fishing at the time but somehow managed to still have a great time. Great people, drinks, food and the ladies were always friendly! Enjoy your time there, would love to go back someday.

·
Native Trout Fan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input from everyone! I am here and it is beautiful! the beaches and the scenery on the beaches....lol I found a guy on base who will get me a beach fishing license for about 6 Euros,and a freshwater license for 7 or something like that, but it is going to take a week or so to get back to me.... In the meantime there is no shortage of things to do/see/drink and places to go get 3rd degree sunburn! Gracias mi amigos!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.