Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Keep Fishing
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was fishing two weeks ago from KOA to Ringer using my 6wt with a Wulf Ambush WF6 and loved the fact the I don’t have to back cast. So, now I have the itch to be able to do that with my 4wt with a condition. I would like a line that cast like a single hand spey but this line will also work for nymphing. I have a Allen trout 2 real (4/5/6) without a spare spool and. Winston B2 . The current line on this Allen reel is a SA Trout Mastery WF5 and also wanted to see if, I could, add a shooting head to this or would that not work?

The places I fish seem to have very little room for a back cast so I’m looking to continue single hand spey.

Any assistance will be appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
DT=Double Taper. Not familiar with the Winston B2 action but a 6weight DT with the front taper cut back might work; Can't beat a DT for line control: stack mends, etc. The integrated shooting heads mentioned above all have short powerful front tapers with running line that doesn't mend well. Not what I want in a nymph line.

·
speyghillie
199 Posts
Just watched the last clip and for me that line looks a little heavy for the rod, now bear with me, fishing a short, like really short head is tiring and can waste time when the fly is not swimming were the fish are, I counted Dave stripping in line 9 times before the next cast, and despite saying he has no room behind it looks like I could drive a bus round the back, personally I would fish a longer lighter head, less stripping in, less visible to the fish and I would have much more control of the fly while its in the water.
I do see where this line could be good, but if you can lift and cast without stripping in so much line.... the day is much more fishable.
I do think Dave would be a cool guy to fish with, but would get him onto a longer line, lift cast let it fish, lift cast..... let it fish.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
speyghillie, I agree with most of what your saying, just a couple points in Dave's behalf.

Line is somewhat heavy, common with the skagity tact. His context is 'Smallmouth Bass' which prefer a stripped fly.. especially the up/down darting of a Clouser like he's casting.

Some demo / promotional clips could be better matched to the correct setting. I remember how big of an impact Simon G's demo on single handed spey casting made on me in RIO's earlier International Spey Casting DVD. A tight little choked tunnel of canopy over the stream.. Versus the one he did on their more current Modern Spey Casting where the setting was a stream with wide open meadow on both banks.. far less visual impact for me.

As far as mending nymph presentation on a small brush choked stream, how far are you going to need to mend?

The places I fish seem to have very little room for a back cast so I'm looking to continue single hand spey.

jkfishing; try some lines you already have on hand. For short tight fishing quarters one line class above is beneficial.. two is not out of the question. Shorter casting is way more tolerant..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.