Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Stage 5 Angler
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone here has experience fishing for salmon in the lower Icicle or the Wenatchee?

I grew up in the area but didn’t get into fly fishing until a few years ago (just prior to moving back) but have been primarily fishing trout & bass. I just learned how to fish for Steelhead via Spey rods this year, over on coast and I’m hooked (pun intended). Now I’m itching to see about fishing our local waters (lower Icicle & Wenatchee) as soon as they both open in their respective seasons.

I’ve fished the lower Icicle a time or two when I was younger, but that was with gear rods. I’ve never seen a fly fisherman on that part of the river. Additionally, I’ve never fished the Wenatchee in the fall, only ever floated it when I was a kid. Any advice would be great.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
First thing is, the Wenatchee needs to open. I’ve lost track of the last time that happened but it feels like an awful long time. If it does open, either learn to float it (there’s tons of good swinging water between Cashmere and the mouth and for the most part the floats are straight forward) or cozy up to as many orchard owners as you can if you want walk and wade access to good water without trespassing. Beware of any double wide trailers flying Confederate flags.

· Banned
5,061 Posts
the wenatchee is a really cool river but the chance of it reopening for steelhead ever? well, we can hope. jealous of all of you who enjoyed it. I got to catch it just enough to fall in love pre-closing, but really wish i could go back with my current skillset someday.

· Registered
450 Posts
Yeah why are we acting like its totally closed, it opens for salmon in August. Just because the regs don't say there is a steelhead season doesn't mean they aren't there you. I've fished for steelhead and caught salmon so I'm sure it happens the other way around too every now and then. I'll be on the Wenatchee come September just because it's close, not many fish but I don't care I just wanna swing a fly with out bumping elbows

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.