Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I don't spin fish at all. Now, how about throwing a baitcaster? :)

About 60/40 using a baitcaster about 60% of the time.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The only non fly fishing that I do is for salmon and ling cod when they are to deep or in to few a numbers to fly fish for in the salt. Everything else ( trout, steelhead, warm water fish and salmon in the rivers I fly fish for.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Spin fishing - 0%
Bait fishing - 0%
Netting - 0%
Fly Fishing - 100%

·
Proud to Be Alaskan
3,214 Posts
Spin 1% I might use a spinning rod for herring jigging or something like that
Baitcast 15% Mostly in salt water for rockfish/halibut/lingcod etc.
Net 4% Most of the salmon I catch are in a net, its how I put up protein for winter
Fly 80% Mostly for trout

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Anything involving a chironomid, bobber, electro-finder, pram or some combination thereof is spin fishing. Now lets rethink those answers. :clown:

Otherwise,
Spin 10%
Fly 85%
Barehanding razors 5%
Gunning or shoveling razors 0%

And for the record, it's no sin to spin. My first 30 years were spent doing that, and most of what I know about fishing was learned spinning. No plans to just let that go. It's as much a part of fishing, probably more, than fly gear. Besides, fly fishing is 5% fly and 95% fishing anyway. Those who do well can simply find fish again and again...the fly or spin rod is just a stupid tool. Good news is there's something for everyone, and I can't honestly see the world as fly vs. spin. It's all just fishing. OK, even chironomids and clam guns.

But for those of you who found religion and are looking to burn your Mitchells, Trilene and Cowbells.....I'll take them. :thumb:

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I got rid of all my dark side fishing gear when I got set up with a Spey rod and reel. About seven or eight years ago. Some times I think of how I would do here in Montana with a spinning rod with a #2 Mepps spinner. But it was only a passing thing.

Strictly fly fishing now.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Probably 5% spin. I sometimes bring SW spin gear when it might be too windy for a fly rod. Not so myopic that I can't use other gear when it's a better fit. Have replaced all trebles with single barbless hooks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.