Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been woking with the dubbing brush machine for the last month or so. You can spin up some strange things with it. Hare are some flies that I did with Bucktail that was spun into a Dubbing Brush and then wrapped around the shank to form the head. It took some time to figure it out but I am starting to get what I want out of them.

All the head are Bucktail Dubbing Brushes that are wrapped around the hook shank with the materials being pulled back. Just as you wrap Eztaz. It takes a little planning and a few minutes making the dubbing brush but they are easy to do.
Brad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"more conventional method"
Jamie: I am not quite sure what you mean by more conventional method. I have been making large dubbing brushes to be used in primarily saltwater applications. In the past I was told that you can not make these types of brushes with bucktail and you can not go large. About 6 years I was watching Bob Lindquist do a saltwater fly that he spun a brush for the fly and it got me thing. Lets spin synthetics and make some big flies. I have been very successful with using Big Body Fiber/Kinky Fiber spun with Angel Hair for Shark Flies and Off-Shore Flies.
Is this method a replacement for spinning deer hair or "Hollow Tie" of "V-Ties i.e. Johnny King - not at all. It is another method that I am trying to develop. Some of the benefits is that it is somewhat fast and since the material is spun on stainless wire they are durable and should not explode as easily. I will never be able to get the density of spun deer hair, or the elegant and seamless tapers that Bob Popovics gets with his Hollow Ties or the superb and superior Kinky Muddlers that Johnny King can get. But that is not what I am looking for.

If it would help in a few days I can post a video on how these are made.

Hope this helps explains what I have shown.

Brad

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
A video would be cool. I guess I just never thought of spinning synthetics. Plus I'm crappy at it. I have one of those cool tools and I use the ss wire, but mostly dubbing. I struggle with other materials.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Well, if you plan to spin deer hair, it also helps to use the belly fur, not the tail. It'll flare and spin alot easier, since it's stiffer. But, I can see where a dubbing brush would definitely help with the softer furs of the tails and the way synthetics work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jamie: The collar can be made out of almost any material. In this case, I was experimenting with Bucktail on the dubbing brush machine. I was told in the past that it would not work but decided to try it. It took some time, but I figured out a very simple way to make it work. This fly was designed around the use of a dubbing brush. You can use feathers, aka Whistler or Seducer, but this type of fly was all about brushes and using materials that are typically larger than what the FW people use and was about getting bigger flies. These flies push a lot of water, tend to stay on top if you don't put some lead in them, but most of all are fun to tie. You can control the sink rate with the density of the brush or the amount of wraps you use.

Kelvin: I have been making them using a thin stainless wire. I think 0.006 or 0.004? I have been experimenting with the different thicknesses of wire and different thicknesses/suppleness of materials. I also have been experimenting with the use of more than two strands of wire and more than two layers of materials. Normally you sting the wire across the bed, lay down the materials and then sting the wire across the materials and spin. Now I have been adding some more layers on the brushes. Still have a way to go but it is working.

Brad

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The flies are very nice. I can see the logic in pushing some water as well. I use the brush maker all the time - like I mentioned earlier - mainly for dubbing like SLF, semi-seal, etc. I find the flies come out very tough - hold up to some use. I wish I was better at spinning marabou, arctic fox, etc. Mine always balls up into a very small diameter - not quite what I am looking for.
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jamie: When spinning the fluffy stuff how are you laying it out on the wire? I find it helps if I have about 80% of it on one side of the wire and if you add some angel hair it helps calm down the material. I also put some Plastic Dip or Head Cement on the wire to help prevent the fibers from slipping. Also, when I spin start for about 20-30 seconds until the wire it tight and holding the materials then I try to orientate the fibers perpendicular to the wire. I also will brush very aggressively with a wooden handle copper brush left to right and towards me. If I am not loosing some fibers then I am not doing hard enough. Post a picture of what you are spinning and what it looks like before you start and mid way through. We might be able to figure it out. The fluffy materials can be a pain.
Brad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jamie:
That is one heck of a fly. I wish I could do what the dude's doing. The brushes I am making are between 1" to 3" in diameter. They are very large for SW. The ones he is making are being done on the hook with a dubbing loop and very little material. If I was a FW fly tier I wish I would know how to do what he is showing and be able to help you. The flies in my pictures are all over 6" long up to 8"-10" long. I tend to tie big flies.
Wish I could help.
Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.