Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would alert those of you who care about native redband trout to this little bummer...

This guy probably caught these two fish in the Spokane Valley reach (Plantes Ferry?) and I can't imagine that they survived... both fish are probably in excess of three years old and active spawners. As you know we are down to only one to two thousand redbands in the entire Spokane Valley Reach. Every native trout counts.:rofl:

I highlight this not so as to flame this cat so much as to let every one know that the EDUCATION must continue. We need to press hard on the correlation between catch and release and the survival of native trout and highlight the existing regulations that are on the books to protect these trout. This is a must if the kids are to have any trout.

I have included a screenshot of the Washington Lakes post and a link... if you comment on the WL site, please keep it to educational rather than inflamitory.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportComment.aspx?id=1932&lid=12044&t=3

Also, WDFW wardens have been notified and are working on this... I suggest we give them time and space to work on it. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Thanks,

JW,
Spokane Falls Trout Unlimited

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
asdlfkjasd;lfkjas;ldkfja;lsdkfja;sldkfja;sldkfja;sldkfja;lsdkfja

Terrible.
I dont even know what to say.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
IF the WDFW is on the case, then im sure they can contact WALAKES and recieve the information they need to send this bitch a big fat ticket.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clarification:

At this point, all we really know is that this is a case of poor fish handling (that will probably end up in delayed mortality), if the trout were returned to the river... We do not actually know if a crime was committed and that is what WDFW is investigating.

So as it stands:

1. Scenario 1, this guy was fishing with a single barbless hook, handled the trout roughly, returned them to the river where they might or might not recover from their treatment - unethical behavior but really no violation of any laws

2. Scenario 2, the guy was fishing w/barbed hooks, bait and killed both trout (or some combination) - violation of the law and unethical behavior.

All we know now is that the handling of these trout was very rough and does not bode well for their survival even if released. Again, the point here is not to create a s#%@t storm, but to highlight the need for all of us to educate the fishing public (in a civil way) on the proper treatment of native trout in the Spokane River.

JW

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Clarification:
All we know now is that the handling of these trout was very rough and does not bode well for their survival even if released. Again, the point here is not to create a s#%@t storm, but to highlight the need for all of us to educate the fishing public (in a civil way) on the proper treatment of native trout in the Spokane River.

JW
You are right, there is a possibility nothing "illegal" happened, its just upsetting because he obviously fishes the river a decent amount and you cant try to tell me those are the first two fish he has de_stroyed.
As for a shit storm, I promise my frustrations will stay on the board! :thumb:
Ive ran into people doing things incorrectly on the river, but by that point its to late. We need to get to the fishing public before they are the fishing public!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just cruised the other Spokane river reports, and he's not the only one mishandling and killing native fish. Very sad. Also reading the comments, there's plenty of people who think that killing a few fish isn't going to hurt the population of the Spokane River. What they don't understand is that IT WILL. There are on average 100 trout per mile in the Spokane as opposed to some of the more popular trout waters in the thousands of fish per mile. These guys are also keeping fish that are in the 14-20 inch range which are most likely a part of the breeding stock.
Please pass on the word of conservation on this river, not to mention that eating them would most likely light you up the airport metal detector...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, all good points - this is really frustrating...
The horribly low fish counts Jmills points out, makes this kind of thing even more wrenching... Also, as I understand it from the fish bios, where you find one of these big (and now rare) redbands in the river, you will find several... they move in pods. This makes them even more vulnerable to poachers. This dude probably cut into the few fish that were hanging in there at Plante's Ferry.

Stuart, We (SFTU) are working with another Eagle Scout to get a bunch of signs up this summer and that area is scheduled for one or two... Stay tuned.

Also, ya all... a bunch of us have successfully pounded on poachers this spring... a bunch of folks have the area WDFW Warden cell #s on their phones and have made calls leading expensive citations... our wardens are a real bright spot in this. Officer Hahn and Officer Mossmen and Spurbeck are REALLY commited to changeing the culture of paoching on the river and enforcing the seletive fisheries... it works -seen it with my own eyes!

The more "eyes-on" out there the better and you guys are the eyes on the river! Call in any poaching and DFW will check it out if they can.

PM me and I'll get you their cell numbers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
lets all remember that the Idaho side of the river still allows fish to be taken and killed for consumption. Oh yea Avista doesn't give a shit either or else they would figure out a way to control the water flow before it destroys the reds. The yahoo is defiantly an asshole but there are way more problems than that asshole in the entire drainage. Might be more fish if their reds had a shot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.