Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Spokane about 4.5 years ago. started fly fishing shortly after. I have fished the Spokane River many days. Hiked around Riverside State Park and really appreciate what a treasure this is , but also see the potential for something really special. There have been little in the way of studies of the river, especially the lower river. We have invasive species (smallmouth bass). It is to a point of crisis as to the future of Redband trout. I have attended the last two Trout Unlimited meetings. They were very informative and hope you will fine the links informative as well.

http://cforjustice.org/river/

Rick Eichstadt, is a lawyer with the Center for Justice and Spokane River Keeper. His job is to help hold business, government and people's feet to the fire and make sure we abide by the current laws that regulate the river. Rick actually gets out on the river and is passionate about improving the resource.

http://www.spokaneriver.net/

I apologise since I can not remember the speakers name (help Jerry White). But was an informative meeting. Once again someone very passionate about improving the resource.They want to improve access. They feel that the more people involved with the river the more people will care. They are trying to develop a "Trail Map" which would be a blueprint of what direction the citizens want the river to go. What I was most impressed with is there seemed to be not preconceived notion what they wanted to do. He seemed genuinely interested in getting all user groups together and find common ground for the betterment of all users. Also was impressed that he wanted to be flexible so when there was and opportunity to accomplish something (like river access) that they needed to be flexible enough to take advantage.

So when you have a few minutes take a look at the web sites.
thanks

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Smallmouth are invasive because they're not native. In this case, they are also pushing the native redbands toward extinction in that drainage.

As has been covered on this forum in the past, the next step in the argument is to point out other invasives: Brown trout are invasive everywhere they exist in North and South America (they are native to Europe and Asia only). Brookies in the Western US are 100% invasive (they are native to the Eastern US and Midwest). Rainbows in the Eastern and many other areas of the US including select WA areas are invasive (they are pretty much native only to drainages that have access to the Pacific with a few exceptions, if I remember correctly). Etc. Basically, many of our freshwater ecosystems are a mess from a naturalists' point of view. This was driven home to me a decade ago when I caught an atlantic salmon (100% sure of it) from Rocky Ford.

Regardless of that argument, bravo to you guys who are cleaning up your local blue line!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ont the point of the tread, so really do not want to take it that direction. But the smallmouth are not native. They were planted in Hayden lake. Some others thought they were fun so the caught them, put the bass in their live wells and then transported them to Lake CDA. So the bass in the Spokane escaped through the dams. It would not be so much of a problem if we had a healthy population of trout, but they are really struggling. Dams, poaching, pollution, etc. So would rather not see them in this river.

·
Registered
586 Posts
LD, Thanks for this thread:thumb:

The speaker at the last TU meeting was Andy Dunau. He is the director of the Spokane River Forum.
Their website is:

http://www.spokaneriver.net/

Everyone who is interested in the river and river issues should try and attend the Spokane RIver Forum Conference "Current, Reflections and Future Directions". It will have a bunch of panel discussions and you will hear a great deal about the river and all of the issues that face it:

http://www.spokaneriver.net/?page_id=147

Also, come on out to our next SFTU meeting on the second of Feb. (Tuesday Night @ 7:00). Fishing guide, and long time expert, GL Britton of Double Spey Outfitters will be there talking about Crab Creek and other adventures.

We are really hoping to get some "get your feet wet" projects together for the coming year so come on out and help.

Last: OM... we beat the living S%@# outta Spokane River smallmouth bass in a thread a month or so ago... I am willing to go there again but you may just want to hit the search for the re-run:clown:

·
Bird Dogs and Fly Rods
516 Posts
Lugan,
For what its worth, I believe the atlantics in Rocky Ford are intentionally stocked by the hatcheries there. I too, have caught them there a few years ago and they definitely were from a hatchery somewhere... rubbed off fins and snouts. Kinda weird to see them in a desert stream. I don't think they survive well in there for some reason. I always thought they were surplus from them trying to stock some lakes with them. Perhaps someone knows more about how those atlantics in the Ford. If anyone knows more about these, please chime in.

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
Good post LD. I missed the last TU meeting. Work was really busy and I just plain forgot. I will plan to be at the next one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.