Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for spring creeks in E. WA excluding the overfished Rocky Ford? I don't want you to give away your secrets so I understand if no one responds, but I had to ask (and I am strictly a c&r, barbless hook guy). I have tried Crab Creek, but all that I ever saw were carp and I am a trout snob so that just wasn't happening. I figure that Crab Creek has to have trout in certain locations since it feeds so many good lakes.
I regularly fish the Teanaway, Rocky Ford, Yakima and Rattlesnake Creek with success, but would like to try some new water that has decent public access. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
Tom.

G

·
Tom,
All I will offer is that you get a few maps and look for concentrations of springs adjacent to creeks out there and check it out, Crab included.
You could do alot worse than wandering the desert in search of trout, and of course when you find them...
Good Luck

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Here are two you can try they are Tanuam Creek a trib of the Yakima and Manastach Creek same thing. You are getting this the easy way I had to go hunt these places down. Now I gave you the places all you have to do is find the good places to fish them. That comes from exploring. They are in the L.T. Murray Wildlife Area.

Jim

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information. I actually did fish the Taneum on June 1 for the first time. It is a beautiful area, but I managed to catch a few small ones. I imagine the bigger fish either hadn't moved up from the Yakima or were just not active at that time. I will try it again this summer.

Tom.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The gazetteer is good, but it's steered me wrong more than once. Sunday Greyghost and I spent two hours trying to find a logging road that is clearly marked on the map, but clearly no longer exists. Other than that, try following your Gazetteer out on the Peninsula... Overall, however, for what ti's worth, it does a great job. Still, why can't the Gazetteer be like the Montana one? That's the best map book I've ever seen, with every piece of public land marked on it...

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expediton.org/

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

There's many roads on that map that don't exist any more. Ones that are blocked by old slides or are blocked off by the forest service by means of a ditch or dirt dumped many feet down the road. It seems that they update it every few years but don't add anything new to them and don't take out what don't exist anymore. Just keep printing the same old outdated map. Heck the forest service maps out there are in the same shape. It seems they don't change them either. I've got one such service map and it's dated 1976 and it isn't any different than the new ones.

Jim

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have a Gazetter and it is extremely helpful and as far as I know it is the best you can get at this time. I am glad that I am not the only one who has discovered that the Gazetter is not always accurate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you know where you are going I suggest mapping it on line and if a satellite photo is available pull it up and compare it to the map you will use on the road. If the photo is fairly recent it might show you that the road isn't there anymore. It doesn't work for ditches or Dirt dumps but it helps a little.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Go to terraserver.microsoft.com It will help a little and if you don't know the area you are going into it is a little vague. At least that is the way I viewed it.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.