Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the advice I recently received here, I settled on a beach to explore and try my luck at finding my first SRC on a fly. The beach I chose checked most of the boxes: small pebbles covered in barnacles, on a point, deep water nearby, small stream flowing in. What I didn't see were any rips or fish activities. No swirls or jumping fish, etc. However, I did see a seal cruising back and forth along the beach, so that told me something had its attention. Maybe some Coho were staging there for the river about a mile away. I also didn't see any bait fish, like sand lance or salmon fry, but I did see this guy:

Water Bird Sky Lake Atmospheric phenomenon

So, again, that told me there were bait fish around. I even watched that guy get one, so he was out-fishing me.

I started with a pink over white bead head fly. I paused a little too long between strips at one point and picked up a sculpin, so the heron and I were even 1-1.

I had changed to an olive over white Clouser, and worked back across the point. After about 45 minutes I was about to call it and try another beach when I found this guy:

Grey Fish Staple food Fishing net Reptile

That net bag is about 15" across the bottom, so I'm guessing the fish was about 12" or so. I'm happy with that.

Some discoveries: my waders have a leak; a 5 wt is almost too light for throwing big Clousers; I need a better way to carry a net; I need to work on my casting mechanics.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Nice job! I use a sling pack and just tuck my net between my back and pack. That works really well. If I don't have a pack I'll just stick it int he waging belt in the back. It's surprisingly comfortable (don't even notice it) and easy to get to when you need it. In my opinion a 6wt is the best general purpose Puget Sound beach rod capable of performing in windy conditions, throwing bigger flies, and handling coho. If the weather is nice I'll sometime take a 5wt with a floater, but usually my 6.

·
Topwater and tying.
520 Posts
Might be able to up-line the 5 to a 6 or 7, depending on it's backbone. That's assuming you're primarily having a turnover problem. That or develop your Belgian casting.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Nice job! Way to get out there and make it happen.

I wear a backpack when on the beach most of the time and just clip the lanyard on one of the shoulder straps then slide my net between the backpack and my back. Works well enough

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.