Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
"Tides" are only a part of the riddle. Some places fish better on incoming tides, in fact most of them do. But there are exceptions. Many places fish well as long as there is a moving current(s) and some decent structure. I often do not have the luxury of waiting out just one half day or one half tide and so I look for structures like points of land, spits, jetty walls, rock piles, creek mouths,and for moving water like rips, cross currents, drainages etc. Sometimes all you have for "structure" is two opposing movements of water adjacent to a place you can cast from. And sometimes you can catch cutties in "frog-water"- dead still, slack, crappy looking shallow water. If you don't want to be a slave to tides then you have to cover a lot of ground and a lot of water. Be creative.

·
Registered
804 Posts
There is a chapter devoted to tides in Steve Raymond's book the Estuary flyfisher. It's backed up by years of catch statistics.....not that I can recall the recommended tides - but worth checking out from your local library.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.